Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cannonball Run - HIGWAY PATROL "Car 42" - 1979-81 Firebird

RockinRoller

I started this inside another Topic here:

"anyone ever built the cannonball countach kit"

1615542085_CannonballRun-HighwayPatrolTA4.JPG.4b8422caf58348d8c232d4fb57bad39b.JPG

(Screenshot from TV)

snap30_14.jpg.d2f0d704ca133d24429d13358bc761c8.jpg

(Source: IMCD)

snap35_19.jpg.aff653d1576643b4be744c7d3a9fdc4a.jpg

snap35_19.jpg.aff653d1576643b4be744c7d3a9fdc4a.jpg

(Source: IMCD)

My decals I made years ago... another user told me that it was a Nevada Higway Patrol  Vehicle. For me it was always hard to see what is the right logo or even some small details. I will correct my drawings.

823789917_CannonballRun-HighwayPatrolTA.JPG.de2bec1cf3fd9ae34e4245e42d06d416.JPG

The kit will be the AMT or MPC 1:25 Firebird. The stock "Turbo" hood came from (*not so) reliable resin years ago. (*This company seems out of business and got plenty of money from me without delivering anything)

Some details here:

- white spotlights

- white oversprayed(?) t-tops

- yellow-gold flat "highway Patrol" on doors with a "gold-metal-chrome" star under it

Hope I can make a start here soon...

Greetings

Oliver

aac6_1_sbol.jpg

Cool project you've got going on there !

I'd be surprised to find that the CHP , Nevada Highway Patrol , et al. , employed a turbocharged (or any oxidiser for this matter) Firebird , due to reliability . I believe that the NHP colour scheme with CHP marques is a figment of one's imagination ; conversely , unmarqued , different colours pursuit vehicles were , indeed , used by the CHP back then (late 70's , ad seq.) in sparsely-populated sectors ( e.g. , I-40  , I-10 [ east of suburban areas ] , etc. ) . Those cars were either  Slicktop Mustangs or Firebirds ( with N/A V8 --- no turbo ) .

Never-the-less , with all of that being said , have fun with your cool project !

Totally fictitious car/agency.  The colors are similar to Nevada’s Highway Patrol, but absolutely not California Highway Patrol. The arched lettering on the doors is more similar to Nevada in style and tightness of the arch. But, the star is a six-point star, not a seven-point. Both NV and CA used seven-point stars. And, neither CA or NV painted their spotlights white.  To my knowledge, neither agency used Firebirds/Trans Ams, although they both used Camaro Z28s.  

Have at it, it will be a fun build - no real rules!  After all, it’s a movie.

Yes... the fact is, that it is a fictitious vehicle like most of the cool movie-cars/vehicles.

AND THANK YOU!!! I never noticed that it is a six-star!!! My first drawings for the decals are 10 years back... time to get it corrected for print!

Already draw the Nevada-Seal inside... tooks hours, but it´s done. That was the hardest part.

11.JPG.26757de9b5a21c01c9e8fd8919f290ff.JPG

Until then...

Oliver

Great build Oliver, be watching this closely as I started the exact same build some years back (never got far due to a house move n stuff) but with the RR hood.

Always been one of my favourite brief appearing movie cars. Of course the 1;1 wasnt accurate, it was a movie car but a very cool one. 

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Real or replica ? It has the el-cheapo fleet trim , and appears to have the beige-brown cloth & vinyl interior ( a CHP model would have a white-rimmed tiller ) . 

I believe this is a really good computer rendering of the actual car. Nevada HP always used the fleet trim in those days as well as basic interior colors. There was no specification for ivory steering wheels or spot light handles like the CHP.

Interestingly, the "For Official Use Only" decal continues to this day. The cars now come from fleet with a decal on the windshield. It is a big blue state seal on a clear background stating "For Official Use Only". I found that interesting that when my brand new, unmarked,  '15 Impala arrived, it had the big sticker on the windshield. It mysteriously fell off during the first night shift. Las Vegas heat don't you know.

1970-72, I cannot get one over on Danno ever!"

G

Soooo I designed the new door-decal... it will be in reflective/chrome-like finish and the Letter above in a kind of orange... will need a printed out color-sheet from the printing service to decide.

You can see the misalignment on the 1:1 car... beltline with HIGHWAY PATROLE letters - try to catch that also.

1050718781_cannonballNEVADALOGO.JPG.2ab5a4ead12fe0c8b7c27ef85a27cf8e.JPG

snap33_13.jpg.84cab43b8510d8da0534dfd26ca981da.jpg

On 11/3/2019 at 8:51 AM, RockinRoller said:

The kit will be the AMT or MPC 1:25 Firebird. The stock "Turbo" hood came from (*not so) reliable resin years ago. (*This company seems out of business and got plenty of money from me without delivering anything)

He still out there, I’ve ordered a couple things for him “recently”. But delivery does take some “time.”

This is a cool subject! I’m not far off from my wanting to build the 73 Trans Am formula hybrid from Corvette Summer to go with my Corvette Summer build.E4071776-223C-44A9-AC6E-6387927D7954.thumb.jpeg.26a1e0bd9b20ebffd04cad542dae54a2.jpeg6E760A0F-2566-465B-95CD-0A04946B3EB0.thumb.jpeg.1bf1bbfb311a39c08fb5c056b8aa4bd7.jpeg89222EF1-59EA-4FCE-A22F-8363ACD52CA1.thumb.jpeg.70f180c20b988a1842cec132ab428b8f.jpeg

Edited by Superbird McMonte