Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

RATOUTOFHELL--Cranky's 2008 Holloween Build--R U Ready?

Dr. Cranky

Happy TGIF to everyone!!! Here's ###### Cranky whit his daily progress report . . . now that the engine and the chassis and wheels are done, I can concentrate on getting the painting to look just right on the wings and body.

Now, everyday I worked at a little airbrushing practicing, trying to keep in mind that this BEAST is going to be up on a 9"-10" base, tilted at a angle trying to indicate a swoop-to-kill stance . . . the base, which I hesitate to talk about this early on, is going to feature molten lava and cracked earth that will indicate that his sucker has indeed escaped from the bowels of Hades . . .

Which is why I have decided to paint the wings underneath fire colors . . . red, orange, yellow, and some white for highlights . . .

Like this:

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

I also painted the interior flat black to make sure the red light inside the interior will shine as bright as possible out of those holes . . . but that too is yet another story . . .

The body is painted in a varieties of greens, from dark to yellow green . . . and I used some mesh fabric to really create a stronger sense of skin on the beast with my airbrush . . . it is the easiest thing in the world to do. Any mesh type of material goes well with airbrushing and you can create all sorts of neat results . . . TRY IT!!!

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

Here's a better angle on the paintjob so far . . . I really like the continuity and transition between wings and tail and the 32 Coupe.

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

There still more subtle tones and hightlights to add, and some washes to emphasize the texture too to come, so stay tuned in for more.

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

Thanks, Raul--I appreciate it. You read my post about where you can get the dry transfer lettering right?

Woodland Scenics sells them . . . and they have a whole bunch of neat stuff.

Well, for now I am not going to try to top this thing, but I have a few ideas . . . :lol::P:P

It just gets better and better! The colors really have a natural (supernatural!) reptilian quality. The concept for the base sounds great!

You're taking modeling into the realm of fine art, here! When you're done you need to post pics on Jalopy Journal H.A.M.B. forum on the Friday Art Show thread. There's some great stuff there, but you'll blow those guys off their chairs!

Hot Dang Cranky!!

The way you painted the underside of the wings.

It looks like the light is shining right through..

An Awesomely wicked Build.

You make it look so simple.

My, my, how your mind must work..

(that is meant in the best of ways)

Just bone chilling!!!!

Thanks, Raul--I appreciate it. You read my post about where you can get the dry transfer lettering right?

Woodland Scenics sells them . . . and they have a whole bunch of neat stuff.

Well, for now I am not going to try to top this thing, but I have a few ideas . . . :D:D:lol:

Yeah...I know that Woodland sells them...the problem is that the LHS doesn't carry them. I may have to try to find them online.

Thanks,

Happy another Oct. Saturday, maties . . . hope you are all well and thriving . . . it is still ultra hot and muggy in Florida, perfect contions for painting, which I continue on RATOUTOFHELL!

I've been putting in some heightlights around part os the skin with a lighter green just to bring out more of the reptilian texutes, and I have also been applying very thin dark washes to bring out more of the details on the skin of the wings and the tail.

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

You see it much better on this next picture . . .

IMG_0009-vi.jpg

Ah, a little bit of progress on Sunday . . . I am actually getting ready to do some full-body/chassis/engine mock ups ASAP, so stay tuned in for more . . .

The engine is not glued down yet, but I am pondering adding something to the front of it, a pipe perhaps that will come out throught the teeth on the grill and mabye I can set up a big plume of fire that I can do with painted cotton to signify this is one fire-breathing rat!!! But it will probably look too fake!

Too fake? Says the man who is buildng a 32 Ford Coupe with dragon wings . . . hum, okay! :lol::D:D

Here are some of the last chassis pictures . . .

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

Here's a closeup of the half zoomies . . . I still have to weather this sucker up a bit . . . it's looking way too clean for this ratty dragon beast . . .

I decided to raise the rear by putting some Dodge L-700 tires and rims on the back . . . .

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

Once I mount this sucker on the base and aluminum tubing I will probably have to put some weight on the back to stabilize the weight up front . . . the wings and tail are not heavy enough to hold up the weight of the Allison . . . but we'll cross that bridge when we get there . . .

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

first let me say WOW can i say it again WOW AWESOME BUILD !!!!!!!! this is the first time i have seen anything like this WOW ok let me get by the WOW factor lol. this has opened up a whole new street of modleing for me thank you .now for a couple of ? if you dont mind. i take it you are using the gameworkshop paints i have tried the game color paints on a weird ohs figure with VERY BAD results at the store they said it could not be airbrushed so i tryed to brush it BAD IDEA anyway i also own a iwata airbrush can you tell me what you use and how much to use ? to airbrush the gameworkshop paints i will be trying these soon THANKS for any and all help rob

Thanks, Wolfer . . . and to answer your question. No, I am not painting this with Games Workshop/Citadel paints. I am using Floquil which is an acrylic that is very easy to use. I thin it with distilled water, put in a couple of drops of flow medium and I am ready to go . . . I spray it at about 20-25 PSI, using my Iwata Eclipse . . . if I wanted to isolate more parts of the model to zero in then I would use my Iwata Micron . . . which is a fabulous airbrush for detail painting. Good luck with your work.

hey THANKS for your fast reply . i never thought of floquil paints right now i got a bug up my but and am doing the weird-ohs and old aurora monster models.what brand of flow medium and what does it do ???? THANKS AGAIN now its off to look for the paint THANKS AGAIN OH AND BY THE WAY you really got me into this car thing you got going on rob