Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr. Linear L7 compressor thoughts.

Hello every one,

I was curious if any one has some experience using the Mr. Linear L7 compressor?

It seems to peak at ~21-22PSI-ish, has a small foot print and is very quiet.

The quality and over all design seem top notch.  The price is, well, the price.  But I try to live by;

Buy nice or buy twice.

Edited by aurfalien

That's a lot of bread man.

for that $ I think there are better choices.

that is if you are paying the dinero's I just saw with a quick google.

I have a Super Silent 50, but just checked pricing and they have gone up

allmost 50% sense I got it. Have heard relatively good things a bout California Air.

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-1P1060S-Compressor/dp/B01LYHYHEA/ref=pd_sbs_469_img_2/141-4312338-6920907?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LYHYHEA&pd_rd_r=c1c4bdd5-55fe-4b8d-a141-12ff8e1607df&pd_rd_w=hZnaR&pd_rd_wg=SOOVI&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=027J65HMKB8KWY5909SR&psc=1&refRID=027J65HMKB8KWY5909SR

this would be an idea, after a quick look. they may have a smaller one than this model.

They are quiet, 59db or so. And have the higher PSI. CFM,  just a thought ?

Dang iPad will not let me link that.

California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER
aurflien , I don't know where Limbo is but it would help us help members if we knew what part of the world you preside in.

9 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

That's a rather low PSI, What is the CFM ? 

Hi Kurt,

The units CFM is .25.

I've not air brushed at anything over 20PSI but the units specs are based on 220V and there support has not tested output on 110V.

Brian, that little compressor has about the same specs as the kind used by face make up artist.

w/possibly re-branding and packaging,I don't know that for sure.  But it would be working

constantly if you are spraying at near its max output. For good even output a compressor with

a tank is IMO the best way to go. More constant pressure w/out the pulses from the pump.

A regulator lets you dial down the PSI so there is really no problem having way more than you

will actually use. 

1 hour ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Brian, that little compressor has about the same specs as the kind used by face make up artist.

w/possibly re-branding and packaging,I don't know that for sure.  But it would be working

constantly if you are spraying at near its max output. For good even output a compressor with

a tank is IMO the best way to go. More constant pressure w/out the pulses from the pump.

A regulator lets you dial down the PSI so there is really no problem having way more than you

will actually use. 

Thanks Kurt and you are right.  I really like it's design however will pass on it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 9:22 PM, aurfalien said:

Hello every one,

I was curious if any one has some experience using the Mr. Linear L7 compressor?

It seems to peak at ~21-22PSI-ish, has a small foot print and is very quiet.

The quality and over all design seem top notch.  The price is, well, the price.  But I try to live by;

Buy nice or buy twice.

Hi Brian, 

Justin here. My scale model club is actually sponsored by Mr.Hobby / GSI Creos. I actually have the Mr. Linear Compressor 3 and have personally tested the whole line. 

Here is a quick breakdown:

Pressure - average, but because it is a linear compressor, it gives constant psi, compared to an oil-based compressor.
Life expectancy - 10-15 years depending on constant use
Repairing - simple enough to repair with fish tank compressor pistons (need to be fearless to do this)
Adjustability - not much unless you know about compression adjustment screws
Pressure adjustment - slight adjustments as it has an external pressure valve
Sound - extremely quiet, comparable to a fridge running, or maybe even a desktop computer
Use - best overall use is for high coverage, similar to a spray can. You can use a dual-action airbrush with it with ease.
Connector - 1/8" only, you can get the adapter for it to convert it to 1/4" and then use a normal hose, I don't suggest this as the smaller hose raises the pressure, but if you want to use a wide spread gravity feed brush you will need the adapter. Cost of the adapter is about 20$ - use only the GSI/Creos adapter as it is JSI threads, using an aftermarket adapter can scrap the connection. 

Hope this helps!

PS. I love this line as I live in a small apartment. I also encourage the use of the Mr.Hobby Airbrush marker system using paint markers as you can refill the markers and mix your own custom colors. Plus it makes clean-up time easy, as in no clean-up...

Edited by IbuildScaleModels