Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black gloss acrylic comes out flat ?

I like the idea of acrylics . They dry really fast and clean up with water . My question is that I have some gloss black acrylic craft paint I got at Wally world or somewhere and when I use it , it dries flat. What's up with that ?

When ever I shoot craft paints and want a gloss finish I just automatically figure on clear coating. And as such I actually prefer flat or satin acrylics. But the level of gloss you get from gloss acrylics will vary by how you thin them and apply too. And polishing as well. I just go for the clear coat though with craft acrylics that I want to really shine. I do quite a lot of craft paint shooting and clear coat with either Tamiya clear gloss acrylic or with clear lacquers, then buff to a full shine. I like the satin craft paints for interiors but flat is fine with me too then I add clear satin Liquitex varnish to my mix according to how I want the interior to look. Bodies get clear coated if craft paint is the color coat. Just sayin.

Edited by Dave G.