Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've been on vacation

Tim...

What a VACATION...

Still looking at and enjoying the pictures. You look like a proud "poppa" holding a newborn...

How did you manage to pack everything...any issues during transportation??

How were the responses from people attending??

Welcome back safe and sound...

Kurt

Kurt

yeah, I was quite pleased. The reaction from those attending was great. I was nice to have those that have designed them and built the real ones comment on my work.

As for transportation - I packed everything loose, sort of. I built a 2nd level in the bed of my truck. Both upper and lower covered with thick/plush carpet. I parked models side by side (front facing forward) on the lower level, about 3 inches apart from each other. To access these the carpet was slid rearward. The upper level had models parked along the edge of the upper level (full width of the truck bed), and I used towels as padding along the walls and front of the box. I draped the black table cloths (sheets) over the backs of the models to keep them from bouncing around. Inside the cab (crew cab pickup) I folded the rear seat and put an old coffee table on top of the floor, and a piece of plywood on top of the table creating 2 levels.

The models in the lower level of the pick-up box suffered no damage. Three models on the upper level were damaged. My black/white roof 378 vaulted forward after a particularly large bump near Green Bay, Wisconsin on the trip down. The 378 smacked the green 350 COE. It launched forward and smacked the red PIE 351 tanker. The 350 lost its cab and horn. The 351 PIE lost its cab/hood, exhaust, a headlight and air cleaner. The 378 suffered a scratched bumper. On the return trip the yellow Waukesha snow plow lost a hydraulic plow cylinder and the orange 379-127 lost a spot mirror. Not too bad for all those miles and bumps. Once I got home I managed to break off the grille gaurd/bumper off the gold/red 389 and a couple of antennas.

Tim

Tim...

What a VACATION...

Still looking at and enjoying the pictures. You look like a proud "poppa" holding a newborn...

How did you manage to pack everything...any issues during transportation??

How were the responses from people attending??

Welcome back safe and sound...

Kurt

TIM; Now That's a vacation! Sorry to hear you did suffer some attrition; but you did pretty well considering the volume of trucks you had to carry. What a great display....I'm sure the guys at the factory enjoyed it...great work...you are the "Ambassador" of model trucking! matt

Perfect vacation for the Peterbilt King! Was looking over all of the pics you added to your site. You sure were a shutter-bug down there, and you look mighty happy standing behind that table.

I like the shot of you're Ole' Number One sitting on the hood of the real Ole' Number One.

Tim,

Looks like you had fun. You must have felt proud to have been invited by Peterbilt to put on a display of your trucks at their factory. I have often thought that you could write a book of the history of Peterbilt using your model truck builds,

PS. Did they give you a drive of one of the real toys?

Best Wishes

Dave Bates