Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari Testarossa 1:24 90s Magic!

Funkychiken

On 12/13/2022 at 1:29 AM, CJ1971 said:

Oh man! I’m an 80s kid through & through & the Testarossa has to be 1 of my all time favourites! Being a huge car fan & a TV junkie ( all the car shows back then ) I had to build this kit also ( same Tamiya Testarossa ) but had to do it in white, a replica of Sonny Crockett’s Testarossa. Not only that but I also had the 512 TR Blackstar ( Fujimi ) & the Koenig Special Edition, in my stats. So I decided to build all 3 at the same time! The Koenig is a “what if ?” Miami Vice was rebooted & Sonny still drove a Testarossa… but… it was updated & tuned, with modern material like CF 😉👍🏽
I’ve included a couple of pics without wanting to hijack your great thread. Just wanted you to know there’s heaps of Testarossa fans out there 👌🏽
Also being a Mopar guy I chose to do the Koenig in Octane Red & the 512TR in F8 Green. The Vice car is Bianco. 
They’re all still WIPs at this stage as I need time for the bench to finish them 😩👍🏽😂

Cheers Cliff 

DD5AD0A8-7F8F-4CBF-84D5-0F078CE12B78.jpeg

Cliff, I was going to ask how you did the black bits on the body, looks like you painted black first then masked to do the body colour.  I'm really struggling to do it the other way around...

That's a nice job masking. It takes so much work to get right. I hate doing this part as there always seems to be a bit I miss and the paint creeps under the tape. I hope its not too cold for spraying in Billericay. I have suspended all my spraying activities as my workshop is sub zero.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:31 AM, Funkychiken said:

Cliff, I was going to ask how you did the black bits on the body, looks like you painted black first then masked to do the body colour.  I'm really struggling to do it the other way around...

Which black bits do you mean, mate, the trim? I always do the trim after body has been painted/cleared. I just mask them off & paint. For the side grills? I hand painted those recessed areas. Clearing beforehand helps if I stuff up because any mistake is easily wiped off so I can re-do it. 👍🏽

On 12/18/2022 at 1:35 PM, beeRS said:

That's a nice job masking. It takes so much work to get right. I hate doing this part as there always seems to be a bit I miss and the paint creeps under the tape. I hope its not too cold for spraying in Billericay. I have suspended all my spraying activities as my workshop is sub zero.

Hey Sonny, I have a hobby room in the house, and can spray indoors and vent the room, and also moved to Danbury! it is sprayed now, so i'll post pics in a minute.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 5:05 PM, CJ1971 said:

Which black bits do you mean, mate, the trim? I always do the trim after body has been painted/cleared. I just mask them off & paint. For the side grills? I hand painted those recessed areas. Clearing beforehand helps if I stuff up because any mistake is easily wiped off so I can re-do it. 👍🏽

Yeah a meant the trim, but also the other black bits on the body shell, i've been struggling with this kit, lots of areas to mask!

15 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Yeah a meant the trim, but also the other black bits on the body shell, i've been struggling with this kit, lots of areas to mask!

Yes there’s a lot to do to make an accurate replica for sure 😩 But u gotta do what u gotta do to get the results u want. I just take my time… never in a hurry to build… it is a hobby after all 😉👍🏽👍🏽

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Body shell was masked 5 separate times to paint the brack bits/trim for the rear light area, windshield surround, side trim around the windows and the front lip.

it has been re-polished with Nuvous 2 & 1.

then I've hand painted the interior of the engne bay flat black, and used tamiya smoke acrylic for the panel lines (this is why I had to re-polish - to celan up the over application - I almost runied the clear coat rubbing with IPA trying to remove the excess).

the pop up head lamps stick, as they are rubbing with the body. I did check this before painting and they were fine. But with the paint build up, it was enough to tip it over.

The clar parts are of poor quality, lots of stress marks and moulding witness marks, but they have just been polished and installed. I have struggled to glue them in, the PVA didn't stick to the tamiya gloss overspray, so I've had to stuff some Superglue in there.

I did mask & spray the black lines on the lights, both front & back. the rear lights came out great, but you an't see them through the grill. the front ones are a bit too thick. nevermind, this is still much better than my efforts hand painting these black lines.

I've added an after market Ferrari script on the engine bay & now its ready for final assembly. Next up will be finished shots.

20230114_112745.jpg

20230114_112756.jpg

20230114_113040.jpg

20230114_113059.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work Atin. You’re nearly there now. You made a nice job of the glass. Using superglue anywhere near clear parts allows worries me, for fear of fogging, but yours came out fine. Shame about the pop-up lamps. What have you done with them - glued in the closed position?