Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not a happy camper!

I’ve been thinking about doing a restore on my MPC Force 440 police car. Then I was thinking it would be cool to have an exact twin but with four doors. I’m not a Mopar guy so I never knew the two door and four door 78 Monaco’s had a complete different rear end on the body. I happened to be on EBay and there was this Dukes of Hazzard, Roscoe’s police car. The box art shows that the rear end is exactly the same as the Force 440 kit, so I bought it. $57.00 shipped. Then I went on Goggle to see if anyone had done what I’m wanting to do. That’s when I saw that the Sheriff Roscoe Kit is exactly the same as the MPC California Highway Patrol Kit that can be found for thirty bucks! I haaaaaate when the box art doesn’t match what’s in the box!!!

28EA45A2-C46E-40A0-9FF5-8289F6B6A06C.jpeg

B6C8DA78-FC13-4700-984C-FB616BC7FA30.jpeg

Edited by Ben

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

Then I went on Goggle to see if anyone had done what I’m wanting to do. That’s when I saw that the Sheriff Roscoe Kit is exactly the same as the MPC California Highway Patrol Kit that can be found for thirty bucks! 

Sounds like you got a $27 lesson called "Do Your Homework." Looks at the bright side: Many people have paid a LOT more than $27 to learn that. B)

IIRC that error came about because MPC announced the DoH police car it showed a 2 door body like Force 440. But they got flack and decided to tool a new body.......but the box art just added a door. Thus a body that did not match inside the box.  

MPC was notorious for this in the 80's . The same catalogue which exhibited the Monaco sedan also exhibited The Fall Guy pickup ---- which had the 1979 front clip ! 

Terry Jesse did a conversion of the 2 door coupe to a 4 door sedan , but left the coupe's unique rear fascia intact . He did that before the release of the 4 door sedan of c.1981 .

Any time you (or anyone) have a question about box art-versus contents , post a question about it  ( I know , lame-o ad hoc advice... ) .

I recommend that you look for the promo of the 1977-1978 Monaco coupe . They pop-up from time to time , and they're much more reasonable than the kit version .