Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford F-150 XLT

Thought I'd post this one here as well as on the usual RC-places.  I bought an Axial 1:24 RC Jeep Rubicon and swapped the body for an AMT truck. It adds to the scale looks but not to the driveability because of its weight.

The paintjob is, well, orange peelorama, but hey, it's no beauty show out on the trails. I think I'll work on some more off-road equipment but at least it's drivable now. (barely)

20200731_190215.jpg

20200731_190358.jpg

Cool. I just recently got into 1/10 scale rock crawlers, saw these at the hobby shop and though the same thing. I was thinking of putting a Scout body on, but I thought the crawler looks a little too big. I think they look about 1/22 scale maybe. I never measured anything, haven't bought one yet. I did buy some of the tires though thinking I could use them on some plastic model projects, but I think they're too big. Maybe on a competition machine, but too big for a driver on the road. I really like the way yours looks though. What do you mean about its weight? Is the plastic body too heavy for the drivetrain to power it over rocks now? Thanks for any info.

Jeff 

13 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Cool. I just recently got into 1/10 scale rock crawlers, saw these at the hobby shop and though the same thing. I was thinking of putting a Scout body on, but I thought the crawler looks a little too big. I think they look about 1/22 scale maybe. I never measured anything, haven't bought one yet. I did buy some of the tires though thinking I could use them on some plastic model projects, but I think they're too big. Maybe on a competition machine, but too big for a driver on the road. I really like the way yours looks though. What do you mean about its weight? Is the plastic body too heavy for the drivetrain to power it over rocks now? Thanks for any info.

Jeff 

Hey, Jeff!

My RC hobby started with a Traxxas Slash and an Axial Honcho in 1/10 too, but we could talk about that privately maybe. I agree with you about the scale issue. The original wheels are 56 millimeters (thats about 53 inches in 1:1). I bought a set of wheels from another brand that fit the scale much better. They measure 43 scale inches in 1:24 and that's large too. (The body is 1:25 so it's actually about 44"). That got rid of the monster truck look. The kit body is quite a lot heavier than the original lexan body. I didn't weigh it. I'll do it the next time I take it apart.
All that extra weight makes it top heavy. Power is not an issue. It just topples over to easy. I'll have to add wheelweights  and stuff.

I know it's a modeling forum, and the fun thing with this one was combining two hobbies. I even used bare metal foil on it so it'll be a bit fragile on the trail.

That’s neat, I’ve thought about doing the same thing, putting a scale body on a roughly 1/25 chassis, or something that at least fits the 1/24 or 1/25 body. I haven’t taken the first step into RC yet, I know that’s a slippery slope.

Thanks for the info. I understand about being top heavy. I can see that being a problem with it. I got my start in rc a couple of months ago with a Red Cat gen 8 Scout II (I have a thing for Scouts). Very addicting hobby. I have the "I wants" bad now for more crawlers, lol. Thinking about a Traxxas Chevy Blazer next. Then I saw the 1/24 scale crawlers and it got me thinking about what you did with your rig. Might still have to go that route also and combine my hobbies too.

I know this is a model forum, but these scale crawler trucks are just as much a model as plastic styrene models that just sit on a table. The details and aftermarket parts available for them is incredible. Some look just as good as any static model and they can run and drive over things too.?

Jeff