Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 Christine, BIG!!! Update February 8th

No problem, I have finally some more.

Progress is quite slow on this project, not because I do not spend any time on it, no. But because it all takes so long, basically everything needs to be changed or custom-made. That is, on the wreck. The other 2 are going more easy, but I don't spend a lot of time on those, since well, they will not take that long.

I also made a start on my custom-display box. I needed a different box, so I could fit both cars in and made is some kind dioramic on one side and showroom-likish on the other.

I will let the pictures do the talking;

christine031.jpg

christine032.jpg

christine033.jpg

christine034.jpg

Christine035.jpg

christine036.jpg

christine037.jpg

christine038.jpg

christine039.jpg

Edited by Steef Hartither

here is some neat little trivia on the movie fyi.

Keith Gordon who plays Arnie was born in 1961 which would have made him 17 in 78 the year the film takes place.

the CQB 241 plate is the plate that 'Lebay' had on the car when it was new, you see it hanging off of the front of the car by one screw and kind of faded when seen in the beginning.

Plymouths (and other mopars) of that era did NOT have push button door latches (the ones that christine retracts to keep Dennis out and Leigh in) but in wide shots you see no door lock buttons.

Both Keith Gordon, and John Stockwell (Dennis) have gone onto directing films when they were older.

Alexandra Paul (Leigh) has an identical twin sister who had her dress up as 'Leigh' but did not tell the director and she then walked in and asked why she was so easily replaced ;).

the shots of Christine in the 50s was shot with a different type of film stock then the rest of the film to make the opening feel as if it was filmed in the 50s.

Thanks Dave, I have looked for this and I have found many examples that opposite each other, either silver engine and gold covers or gold engine and silver/chrome covers. From what I could see in the beginning of the movie, I thought it was silver engine and gold covers/gold air-filters.

It would be too late now anyway, since the engines are build-up already, but thanks for you research.!

True, I guess it is movie inaccuracy. I am building the car to the assembly-line example, but the 2 brand-new Christine's are a little less important for their accuracy.

I am pushing myself over my own skills to make the 'first-sight' as accurate as possible, and my work will be focussed on that one though. <_<

they also "went through" 53 1958 plymouths in the movie because they destroyed so many of them, more than half of them were actually belvedere's with scripts removed.

here is some neat little trivia on the movie fyi.

Keith Gordon who plays Arnie was born in 1961 which would have made him 17 in 78 the year the film takes place.

the CQB 241 plate is the plate that 'Lebay' had on the car when it was new, you see it hanging off of the front of the car by one screw and kind of faded when seen in the beginning.

Plymouths (and other mopars) of that era did NOT have push button door latches (the ones that christine retracts to keep Dennis out and Leigh in) but in wide shots you see no door lock buttons.

Both Keith Gordon, and John Stockwell (Dennis) have gone onto directing films when they were older.

Alexandra Paul (Leigh) has an identical twin sister who had her dress up as 'Leigh' but did not tell the director and she then walked in and asked why she was so easily replaced :lol:.

the shots of Christine in the 50s was shot with a different type of film stock then the rest of the film to make the opening feel as if it was filmed in the 50s.

Edited by grimreaper

just to correct you, "christine" is a 1958. and how funny is this, my wife's name is christine and she LOVES that movie. i've done MANY "christine's" over the years, but never the "first sight" (been wantin to though) version. my painting skills are still not the greatest, i'm tryin to get ahold of a few of the prepanted pro shop ones. i will definatly be watchin this one.

I guess it would depend if he is going by the film, or by the picture on the book cover. If you have a copy of the first issue hard cover with the dust jacket, you will find a picture of Mr. King sitting on the hood of a 1957 Plymouth, not a 1958. As a matter of fact Mr. King made several mistakes in his book concerning the 1958 Fury. Just some useless information I thought I'd share.

I guess it would depend if he is going by the film, or by the picture on the book cover. If you have a copy of the first issue hard cover with the dust jacket, you will find a picture of Mr. King sitting on the hood of a 1957 Plymouth, not a 1958. As a matter of fact Mr. King made several mistakes in his book concerning the 1958 Fury. Just some useless information I thought I'd share.

Sounds like the mid 50's Buick (a '53 IIRC) in the Stephanie Plum Mystery series by Janet Evanovich, she pulled the hand brake and used the seatbelts in the car all the time ;)

Thanks all for the reply's, I am enjoying the interest, the thoughts and trivia shared. :P

Well, since the Ferrari got the most attention lately, I wasn't able to work on the Christine project a lot. But I do have some more pictures for you.

I never ever have put together a diorama, but I think things are going well, It still needs tweaking, but that will come along the way. I am focussing now back on the Christine project.

Christine057.jpg

Christine058.jpg

Christine059.jpg

Christine060.jpg

Christine061.jpg

Christine062.jpg

Christine063.jpg

Christine064.jpg

Christine065.jpg

Christine066.jpg

Thanks all for the reply's, I am enjoying the interest, the thoughts and trivia shared. :P

Well, since the Ferrari got the most attention lately, I wasn't able to work on the Christine project a lot. But I do have some more pictures for you.

I never ever have put together a diorama, but I think things are going well, It still needs tweaking, but that will come along the way. I am focussing now back on the Christine project.

Christine057.jpg

Christine058.jpg

Christine059.jpg

Christine060.jpg

Christine061.jpg

Christine062.jpg

Christine063.jpg

Christine064.jpg

Christine065.jpg

Christine066.jpg

Yes, I found a fun tutorial for cases and decided to use it promptly. I had fun building it, my skills needs to be improved, but for my first self-made case, I am quite happy.

It probably will take a long, long time before it is finished, there is just so much custom work in this project. So much more than I ever did before and so much stuff I never done before.

Yesterday I decided to make my own trunk-lid, because the one I cut out, was way too thick. I also decided to make my own doorpanels and made the water-thingies in the trunk area. Stuff I've never done before, but for the sake of the project starting to do.

And the latest update on this ongoing project, Work on the two nice Christine's is going pretty much straight forward. The interiors has been painted and fitted onto the chassis.

The body's has been painted, but I was not quite satisfied with the outcome, so I sanded them down today and gave them a polish. So they are ready to receive a few extra coats of red this week probably. (Does anybody know where I can get grid 3200 polishing pads?). When I dryfitted the nice Christine's, I noticed that the back-seat is punching through the rear-window, so a few cuts have been made and it should fit now.

The work on the other Christine is a lot slower; I made my own trunk-lid, since the one I cut out was just way to thick on the worn-out Christine, I also started to make good progress on the doorshells on both sides.

Christine074.jpg

Christine075.jpg

Christine076.jpg

Christine077.jpg

Christine078.jpg

Christine079.jpg

Christine080.jpg

Christine081.jpg

Christine082.jpg

Christine083.jpg

i have a real 57 and a 58 plymouth. the 57 is restored and the 58 is waiting for a 440 transplant. it is a shame that so many plymouth and dodge cars were lost to the movie. i'm glad you got around to building those kits. if i still had them they would still be in the storage boxes. has any one seen the stephen king movie "riding the bullet"? i has a haunted 60 plymouth in red. it's not a great as Christine but it has a few older cars in it. looking forward in the finished pictures. gerry

Thanks Steve, I'll make sure to check it out. Are shipping prices decent?

Gerry; I envy you! hahaha, maybe you can share some pictures of both?

And yes, I do agree with you. And the weirdest thing I found out, the car is neither a Fury or Belvedere, it has features of both and it has a custom interior. Weird....hahaha

i haven't seen 'Riding the bullet', but I am going to make sure I will. And there was that other book, I think it was called just 'Cadillac'.

Edited by Steef Hartither

Guys, I need your help/opinion.

I've never build anything weathered and this is my first. I had to make a interior that looks worn. So I downloaded some pictures from carsinbarns.com for study.

I came up with these seats; did I made it realistic for my Christine-project? Do I need to change anything? Any input will be helpful.

Christine111.jpg

Christine112.jpg

Christine113.jpg

Christine114.jpg

Christine115.jpg

Christine116.jpg

Christine117.jpg