Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Mack H-67 (Reworked AITM Cab) & Contemporary Tank Trailer (Scratch Built)

Hi, Jürgen, Thanks very much for the detailed explanation for producing the grille. I understand all the steps you performed.

Can you please state what tires you used on the truck? Did you make them yourself or did you buy them (and where from?)?

Thanks again, Juergen

I'd like to see some additional photos of what you did if that is possible.  Your work is outstanding and exceptionally clean.  It would be really valuable if we had a section on this board for good how-to topics.  Tips, etc. are ok but something of this magnitude needs to be developed to where we could take the time to really study the work involved.  

Right now I'm working on milling the grill for a new Pierce Enforcer cab.  I'm doing it in Renshape in the hope that I can then create a mold for casting.  It's on hold for a few days.  Last night while working on it the drive belt on my drill/milling setup gave way and I'm waiting on a new one to come in the mail.  Will post some pics of progress.

Thanks for what you do, Jurgen!  A great inspiration for sure!

Thanks for the recent replies!

On 9/5/2020 at 1:08 AM, Chariots of Fire said:

I'd like to see some additional photos of what you did if that is possible.  Your work is outstanding and exceptionally clean.  It would be really valuable if we had a section on this board for good how-to topics.  Tips, etc. are ok but something of this magnitude needs to be developed to where we could take the time to really study the work involved.  

Right now I'm working on milling the grill for a new Pierce Enforcer cab.  I'm doing it in Renshape in the hope that I can then create a mold for casting.  It's on hold for a few days.  Last night while working on it the drive belt on my drill/milling setup gave way and I'm waiting on a new one to come in the mail.  Will post some pics of progress.

Thanks for what you do, Jurgen!  A great inspiration for sure!

Charles, I agree a how-to section particularly for truck modelers would be useful. As far as I know none of the general automotive forums has one. I know only two specialized truck forums with such a section. As a stop-gap I use to add mini-tutorials to my topics when questions arise.

I must admit that I never start WIP threads. As mentioned before in some model car topics I find making notes and taking pictures while building extremely disruptive. For that reason I stopped writing magazine articles many years ago.

I hope you will be fully satisfied when milling the grille - certainly not the easiest part of model building.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:39 PM, HJK said:

Hi, Jürgen, Thanks very much for the detailed explanation for producing the grille. I understand all the steps you performed.

Can you please state what tires you used on the truck? Did you make them yourself or did you buy them (and where from?)?

Thanks again, Juergen

Hans-Juergen, I didn't want a fast reply without pictures.

I use on all my American (=1/25) truck models those tyres that Round 2 includes in the reissued Ertl/AMT kits for several years. Since they are made from a rather shiny material (vinyl?) they look unrealistic OOB.Two steps are indispensible

• The tyre tread must be sanded with a rather coarse sandpaper, f. e. 120 grit. While the tread becomes a light, used look, the grooves remain black and by this they really stand out.

• The shine of the tyre sides should be reduced by brushing them with a small brass brush (steel is too agressive). Such small inexpensive brass brushes are actually made for cleaning spark plugs and can be found in hardware stores or tool departments of house improvement stores.

Nota bene Ertl/AMT kits included various tyres over the past 50 years. This is important when buying old kits f. e. on ebay. I found 5 different types of Ertl/AMT tyres in my stash:

Reifen001250-vi.jpg
Reifen002250-vi.jpg

#1 and #2 are great and can be found in recent issues as mentioned above. #5 is also okay but too small for big trucks. #3 and #4 are not usable because they have no real grooves.

Unfortunately #1 and #2 can't be used for European (=1/24) trucks as here they are conspicuously too small.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the recent comments!

On 9/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, Ack! Ack-ack! said:

Another masterpiece, the tanker looks immaculate! Good decision, the Lindberg tanker is junk.

I am eager to see more, what can we expect next?

From time to time I return to car modeling, presently 3 car kits are on my to-do list. I still had a scratch built MAN F4 to show but I think there would be too little interest here. If you are interested you can find it in the Modell-Laster-Forum.