Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another 50 ton detachable goose-neck lowboy done

Well, I have finished another 50 ton lowboy, this time in red, shown hooked up to my triaxle KW and also Paystar 5000.

The gooseneck has a pin to release it and also hydraulics that move up and down. It pivits on two tiny bolts that can be tightened down to hold it in any position. This is by far the best one I have done as far as quality and detail IMO. I hope to build a display case for it and maybe hang on to this one.

See what you think.

Tim

here's a pic to get your interest, the rest are on the photobucket link.

The crane is still sitting on the Paysyar as I still am undecided where and when to use it, but it was a nice day out for taking pics.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/stu...mview=slideshow

Edited by studioman3

"Tim,

Absolutly amazing work! Where do you get your plans? How do you go about starting something like this?"

Thank you,

Actually, I just wing it, I don't have any plans, I printed some pics off the web and just kinda went from there. The lowboy is actually pretty easy, its a 4 I-beam build with about 30 crossmembers (I use a cut-off saw so they are all the same length), the gooseneck was the hard part, but I think I have it close. I need to find a real lowboy to get a better idea of how they really work. I have sean some with the hydraulics on top pushing back instead pushing down in the back. I'm still not sure how the hydraulic pump works, or where its even located. It took a while to figure out how to put ramps on that woulf fold all the way down to the ground, and all the way back to the deck, after looking at more pics, I realized that some use two hinges connected together instead of just one. The three axle rear end is off the AMT lowboy model kit. I just started building models again last year after a 30-35 year break, so I'm still practicing alot, but inspired by Tim and some of the other guys on here that are just amasing builders. Unfortunately, I will sell most everything I build because I don't have a place to show them and it affords me to build more, but I my keep this one for myself.

Tim

Just for winging it, I'd give you a A++.

That looks darn good.

The only thing I know about Trailers is my Dad used to design/build them for PeerLess.

Of course that was back in the days when PeerLess was HUGE..

(which I really know nothing about)

Everything is Awesome.

Hard to tell from a real one.

The Trucks, Both of them, are Really Great.

Tim,

Another superb looking trailer. I'm glad that after so many years you decided to start building trucks and trailers again. Your hard work and efforts certainly help to inspire me. Shame you cann't keep hold of all your trucks and trailers. Lets hope they go to a good appreciative new home.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates