Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 chevy wagon

Jake-Off

B) that is some wicked paint!!!! I have tons of questions ,but lets start with what kind of tape do you use to get those lines?

and what kind of paint to get that kind of coverage? (have you cut and buffed yet?).

and last question for now, do yoe cut your design out on the car or transfer already cut tape to car? :lol:

:blink: that is some wicked paint!!!! I have tons of questions ,but lets start with what kind of tape do you use to get those lines?

and what kind of paint to get that kind of coverage? (have you cut and buffed yet?).

and last question for now, do yoe cut your design out on the car or transfer already cut tape to car? :lol:

to be honest nothing really special, i picked up the fine line tape at my local hobby store. i belive its 1/16th in size and it rang up over 6 bucks for a tiny little roll. its meant for use on model cars, planes, trains etc... for paint i used the testors lacquer colors, which it really doesn't cover all that well. so i had to paint the whole model the green first, then i taped off the aera that i wanted to stay geen then painted the whole model orange, and then taped that off and so on. with each color i did a bunch of light mist coats so the build up along the edges wouldnt be too bad. but the best thing about doing a multi layer paint job like this is when it comes time to un wrap the whole thing after two days of work... and theres no clear on it yet.... not sure if im gonna add anything else to the paint

i think that answers most of ur questions, i might have missed one or two, but i can try and find the package from the fine like masking tape and get back to u on that subject

GORGEOUS work on the paint !!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if it would be cheaper for ya or not, but if you go to a paint store for 1:1 cars, you can get "pinstripe tape" in widths from 1/16 up to about 1/4, but it comes in rolls like 40' long. (enough to last a model builder a loooonnnggg time... :lol: )

On 1:1 stuff I know either blue or red pearls look stunning over silver or gold base coats (respectively), but not sure about over the green or bronze...

Again, great job on the paint.

Edited by ddonaca351

GORGEOUS work on the paint !!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if it would be cheaper for ya or not, but if you go to a paint store for 1:1 cars, you can get "pinstripe tape" in widths from 1/16 up to about 1/4, but it comes in rolls like 40' long. (enough to last a model builder a loooonnnggg time... :lol: )

On 1:1 stuff I know either blue or red pearls look stunning over silver or gold base coats (respectively), but not sure about over the green or bronze...

Again, great job on the paint.

i have a bunch of 1/8th inch fine line, i put flames on alot of my buddies 1:1 cars and my own ratted out 51 chevy, but with the 1/16 fine line the edges r too tall which builds up alot. perfect for 1:1 cars but dont work well with the model cars

this would be my 1:1 51 chevy rat, i did the flames after i put a green fender on it, after iola wi's swapmeet, and have done prolly about 10 flame jobs since july, everyone saw my car and wanted some flames... which i have a bunch of matrix system paint and clear that i got for free

cars004-2.jpg

cars005-2.jpg

but thanks for looking man mucho appreciated

Paint job is killer, kolor combo just set's It off, I have just got the same kit, and have drawn a blank on what to do with It, so I'll be watching.

thanks dude, but im prolly not gonna do anything too crazy with it.... this one im just building with what came in the box, but idk if im gonna use the big wheels tho. im not much of a fan for putting wheels bigger than 15 inch on any cars be them 1/24-5 or 1:1

but im working on two nostalgia hotrods at the moment and i needed a break from them

i got quite a few projects right now, but since i dont have the cash or a place to start working on my 1:1 cars this winter the model cars will do, since i get alot of ideas for my 1:1 cars from the scale ones

but i'll keep the photos coming just in case u or anyone else can get any ideas from my stuff

thanks man, didn't know if id like the order of the colors, i still think the lower half would have looked better in black, but o well it looks rad how it is, but it took me about two days to figure out the order of the colors, since theres many different variations with four colors ya kno

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
yo evilone held up his end of the bargin LOL

yha whats up man it looks like the wagon is kinda fading away bro whats the deal bro

i havent had much time lately.. things r getting hectic with my woman moving in and stupid family drama... seems as if none of them r happy that i've found a girl i wanna some what settle down with ya kno... i know im only 19, but i've been with plenty women so i know when i have something different so im sticking with it, and plus shes a gear head chick so yeah....i id be stupid to let her go ya kno

but i do have a bit more done, got my interior almost done. just need to figure out which of the three interior colors im going to paint the dash pad, so i needed to step away for a bit anyways. and i have it all wet sanded and polished

but im not going to go into detail too much, prolly just a distributer and all the hoses and that will be that

and once im done with the wagon and the other 4 projects im going to dig into the 64 catalina custom i got, which that one is going to get alot of detail since the frame is separate from the floors

but i will take some updated photos right after the dash is done so should be tomorrow night some time with the good camera

oh and did i mention i also got a ps3 2 weeks ago

a lil later than expected but heres the body and interior. the interior still needs work and touch ups and details, but it gives u a better idea of what its looking like. the body still needs bare metal foil...and the hood is MIA. no clue where it is so i might be buying another kit for the hood. and the camera was acting up so i didn't get the best pics, but hopefully u can see the level of shine in this thing

modelcarbuilds009-1.jpg

modelcarbuilds010-1.jpg

modelcarbuilds018-1.jpg

modelcarbuilds022-1.jpg

modelcarbuilds023-1.jpg

modelcarbuilds030-1.jpg

modelcarbuilds034.jpg

modelcarbuilds036.jpg

modelcarbuilds040-1.jpg

modelcarbuilds043.jpg

Edited by Jake-Off

Do you have a cat? well when parts come missing I always look for my cat :huh: , or in the kitty poop box ;) , under the couch, or under my bed :P, she's always jammin with my stuff.

Anyway, this is look'n top shelf, dig the interior kolor combonation, nice fit to the body's kolor. Nice shine too, smooth as glass...

Edited by unforgiven

Do you have a cat? well when parts come missing I always look for my cat :huh: , or in the kitty poop box ;) , under the couch, or under my bed :P, she's always jammin with my stuff.

Anyway, this is look'n top shelf, dig the interior kolor combonation, nice fit to the body's kolor. Nice shine too, smooth as glass...

thats pretty funny man, but no i dont.... i just have a messy work bench, and with moving stuff from my table to the bench it miht be in a model box with a bunch of spare parts getting all scratched up

but wjen i was younger and had cats i did have that problem offten since i built most my models on my bedroom floor, i was 6 or 7 at the time...and never built a snaptite. i just had to use the orange smelling non toxic glue that i sniffed often what can i say, the stuff smells good but adhered for.... well im sure u know. but i watched my dad build models alot when i was a tike, and the same goes for 1:1 cars as well