Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modern Day Evolution

Mike 1017

I had mine pulled when I was 19. The dentist had the work done in the hospital, because two of the four were inpacting on the lower molars and were breaking them. The good thing was I was no longer in pain. The bad thing was I got addicted to Demeral pain killers. Our family doctor cut me off cold turkey, after I showed up at her office looking for another refill after three scripts for 30 day's worth.

I had two of them pulled at once, at a nearby state university dental school.  One had roots that curved so much that they touched each other.  That one came out in a couple of pieces.  When the instructor calls all of the students over to show them the x-ray, you know you are special. 

They pulled another tooth some other time...when you see the guy raise one leg and put his foot against the arm of the chair to get leverage, again you get the idea you're going to have a rougher than usual visit...

Being a MACHO MAN I decided to go with with the local anesthesia . I swear  sparks, smoke, and pieces of bone flew out of my mouth.  The oral surgeon put his knee on my chest to pull out one of them and used some sort of drill saw on the others. I was exhausted when he finished. I didn't have pain during the procedure but it was horrible when the anesthesia wore off. I can still see everything happening like it was 5 minutes ago.

Moral of the story: opt for the Knock out gas.

Mike

14 hours ago, kitbash1 said:

I had mine pulled when I was 19. The dentist had the work done in the hospital, because two of the four were inpacting on the lower molars and were breaking them. The good thing was I was no longer in pain. The bad thing was I got addicted to Demeral pain killers. Our family doctor cut me off cold turkey, after I showed up at her office looking for another refill after three scripts for 30 day's worth.

Was this recent?

Agreed!  I have had three of the four extracted. The last one sits under the gum line, causing no harm... hopefully!

I had the first two out at the same time. One had actually come in and was sitting there in the row of teeth. It got a cavity and dentist said to have it out instead of filling it.   So I went for the first two.  I was put out for those.  I remember sitting there talking to a nurse, then the next thing I remember I was sitting looking out the window... I felt my cheek and oh yea, it was done!  Since nothing is easy with me, I wound up with dry socket and had to go back to surgeon's office every day for a week to have the packing in it changed until it healed.  Ouch!

The other one got infected so it had to come out.  Local anesthesia  and I could hear and feel every move!  It shattered and surgeon was pulling out the pieces one at a time.   That afternoon  full of anesthesia, I went out with my daughter and purchased a car for her!   No doubt not on top of my game!

And continuing with my theme, that one caused a lot of  pain.  I went to my own dentist and he found the issue.   A piece of the tooth was still in there. He extracted it.

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 10/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, Mike 1017 said:

Being a MACHO MAN I decided to go with with the local anesthesia . I swear  sparks, smoke, and pieces of bone flew out of my mouth.  The oral surgeon put his knee on my chest to pull out one of them and used some sort of drill saw on the others. I was exhausted when he finished. I didn't have pain during the procedure but it was horrible when the anesthesia wore off. I can still see everything happening like it was 5 minutes ago.

Moral of the story: opt for the Knock out gas.

Mike

Was this recent?

No. This work was done in 1978. I was out cold for the surgery. They gave me the two wisdom teeth that didn't shater to bit's. Like Mark's The roots on mine curved inwards. I still have those two teeth in the glass tube the hospital gave me.