Model Cars Magazine Forum

1991 Harry Gant Oldsmobile

MarkJ

Your model is great! Thank you for doing it.I built the engines for those 5 races 3 were won with the same engine but Martinsville was anew block assembly but the same heads and intake was used on all and I welded the heads(all 40 hours) racing was fun then. And we lost brakes at Wilkesboro, Harry really had them covered that day!

37 minutes ago, presnell said:

Your model is great! Thank you for doing it.I built the engines for those 5 races 3 were won with the same engine but Martinsville was anew block assembly but the same heads and intake was used on all and I welded the heads(all 40 hours) racing was fun then. And we lost brakes at Wilkesboro, Harry really had them covered that day!

Thanks for weighing in Jim. I feel honored that a real person from the sport we are so interested in, Nascar racing, shared some real-life info about one of my builds. Thank you very much for your comment. It is so much appreciated.

Mark, Ive been building models since 1958 and still very much enjoy it!I see you are a Rex White fan well I've got a story, in 67 Rex showed up at the New Asheville Speedway with a 55 Chevy Sportsman car, practiced once,qualified on  the pole,won his heat,won the main easily, drove straight to the hauler and loaded car and left. that really bothered me cause I was helping Jackie Fox in the same race but never heard anything. In 2ooo while working for Andy Petree JiM Covey came out there(he was the head of GM racing) and I asked him if he knew anything about what Rex was doing well he said Rex was running the then new 350 engine with electronic fuel injection doing testing for them.

2 hours ago, presnell said:

Mark, Ive been building models since 1958 and still very much enjoy it!I see you are a Rex White fan well I've got a story, in 67 Rex showed up at the New Asheville Speedway with a 55 Chevy Sportsman car, practiced once,qualified on  the pole,won his heat,won the main easily, drove straight to the hauler and loaded car and left. that really bothered me cause I was helping Jackie Fox in the same race but never heard anything. In 2ooo while working for Andy Petree JiM Covey came out there(he was the head of GM racing) and I asked him if he knew anything about what Rex was doing well he said Rex was running the then new 350 engine with electronic fuel injection doing testing for them.

Thanks, Jim, for that inside story. No wonder he dominated so much in that 55. I heard he won over 20 some races in 1965 in that car. But he probably didn't have that setup he had in 1967 yet.

1 hour ago, presnell said:

Mark that car is very nice! the one I remember from 67 was maroon where yours is gold. The gold looks alot better/ you did a great job!

Thanks, Jim. Again, it's great to have some input from a guy who really lived this sport back in the day. Looking forward to you posting some builds here at the forum.

12 hours ago, presnell said:

Mark I enjoy it and I have plenty more pictures I'll post along I don't want to founder people with them.  Jim

Post away, Jim. We all love reference pictures around here. They are getting harder and harder to find. Especially from the 50's and 60's