Model Cars Magazine Forum

Really flat black paint

mad mike

Hello everyone,

this might be interesting to all you guys who ever tried to paint a black hole. Or just an exhaust inside. This is the flattest paint I've ever seen, by Stuart Semple https://culturehustle.com/products/black-3-0-the-worlds-blackest-black-acrylic-paint-150ml

I just saw he already got the 3.0 version, below are pics of the 2.0 I've bought via ebay a while ago. It's acrylic with lots of pigment, easy to brush on (can be applied via airbrush too they say) and covers well. For comparison the second spoon was painted with "Rallye black" flat black spray can.

DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

Interesting how over the years, "flat black" has become more like "satin black" with a low level of sheen .  "Flat" flat black must have been reformulated over the years for some reason.  Used to love the original Krylon "no runs, no drips, no errors" flat back for painting resin and vinyl tires, and it had sort of s sweet smell to it.  I inquired to Krylon about why they had to change the paint, and the reply I got was that it was for  environmental reasons out in CA.  I really miss it.

A.J.

Stuart Semple is a pretty funny guy, he has an ongoing fued with another artist called Anish Kapoor (he made that massive kidney bean thing in one of the cities in the US) or something like that over the vanta black paint.  It basicly boils down to if you have anything to do with Kapoor you cant buy any of Semples pigments. Theres a few threads and stories about it online if you want to find out more