Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best way to chrome plate resin wheels?

27 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

...with the Revell chrome spray....

A few weeks ago I saw a Facebook post by a guy who used the Revell spray on JoHan '64 Dodge bumpers. He said he then overcoated them with Future Floor Wax on a Q-Tip. They looked fantastic.

30 minutes ago, john sharisky said:

A few weeks ago I saw a Facebook post by a guy who used the Revell spray on JoHan '64 Dodge bumpers. He said he then overcoated them with Future Floor Wax on a Q-Tip. They looked fantastic.

Sorry that this is a bit blurry, but this is an AMT '59 Ford bumper that had decent chrome, but was slightly abraded at the top. I did a little cleanup with 600 grit and shot the Revell "Chrom" over the kit chrome. I find it to be a bit warmer than kit chrome, but in my eye it is a more realistic finish for a chrome bumper than kit chrome. Living dangerously, I overcoated it about 90 days later with SpazStix clear, and it still looks good to me. Conversely, I shot the taillight bezels with the Chrom, and they turned out too shiny to my eye for a part that I believe was anodized aluminum (anodised aluminium), so I gave them a light spray of Dullcote and they are still kinda bright.

As a sidenote, pre-COVID, I worked with one of Dale's sons out here in California. He was a model guy as well, but Tamiya racing cars and things like that. He really wanted Dale to teach him the vacuum plating process and maybe take over, but the logistics of Pennsylvania to California was a bit of a problem. Not long after we transitioned to working from home in March 2020, he resigned and I have not seen or heard from him since.

image.png.e356cee9ae87f5def82da45883a8588a.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...