Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEWBEE NEEDS YOUR HELP

Hello! I am a Newbee and need your help.

I have a 53-year background in that highly questionable activity - drag racing - now retired.

I am a certified personal property appraiser of unqiue, exotic and racing motor vehicles. My

current assignment is to place a value on the 1:16 scratch built scale model of a 1960's era

Top Fuel Dragster. As such, it's mostly tubing.

My question is ... does anyone know of an auction where high-end car models are commonly

sold? Is there a site whereon "offered for sale" or "price realized" sale prices for such items

are posted?

Any help provided will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Jon Lundberg, VODR (Ret.)

Hello! I am a Newbee and need your help.

I have a 53-year background in that highly questionable activity - drag racing - now retired.

I am a certified personal property appraiser of unqiue, exotic and racing motor vehicles. My

current assignment is to place a value on the 1:16 scratch built scale model of a 1960's era

Top Fuel Dragster. As such, it's mostly tubing.

My question is ... does anyone know of an auction where high-end car models are commonly

sold? Is there a site whereon "offered for sale" or "price realized" sale prices for such items

are posted?

Any help provided will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Jon Lundberg, VODR (Ret.)

I guess it depends on the model.

Is it plastic? Brass? Condition? History?

There is a range from average build would be an X place to unload it, but if it's trully something very special it may go to Y.

Edited by CAL

lordairgtar: Thank you! Actually located auction results for five of his fabulous models sold at auction by Bonhmas & Butterfields at Monterey this year. The model I'm valuing is a "short body" front-engine Top Fuel Dragster and is thus mostly tubing and - as I have said - scratch built. Wingrove's models are simply gorgeous.

I don't know if this will help, but researching Gerald Wingrove in the UK might help. He and his wife have been producing museum quality classic cars in 1/15th scale for many years and have published a couple of books on the subject.

Hi. It's 95z% brass and mostly tubing. Condition would be (on our 1-6 scale, a 1-minus nearly perfect). History is that it's an obsessively correct model of the full-size vehicle commissioned by its re-creator and completed in 2004.

It's comprise dof nealry 1200 separate parts!

OK ... X or Y?

I guess it depends on the model.

Is it plastic? Brass? Condition? History?

There is a range from average build would be an X place to unload it, but if it's trully something very special it may go to Y.

Gary: Hi. There is no know cure and I cannot find a 12-step group for support. Saw my fist hot rod in 1949 - haven't been the same since. Saw my first drag race in 1950 - haven't been the same since. Smelled my first exhausted Nitro-methane in 1954 - haven't been the same since. Geez, is there a pattern here?

Highly questionable? I thought that was normal. Can you get disability for that? :o

Gary

Hi. It's 95z% brass and mostly tubing. Condition would be (on our 1-6 scale, a 1-minus nearly perfect). History is that it's an obsessively correct model of the full-size vehicle commissioned by its re-creator and completed in 2004.

It's comprise dof nealry 1200 separate parts!

OK ... X or Y?

From what you discribe X. Fine Art Models. It's not an auction house but a dealer, they sometimes buy stuff, but would be able to put a value on it. They are the experts!

http://www.fineartmodels.com/home/index.asp

Edited by CAL