Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Resin Trucks

Hi,

I've always loved the look of trucks, I even went to a truck driving school, but right after, I hurt my back. So like they say, it wasn't in the cards.

I now want to build a fictitious model trucking company. I have already done the Dodge L-700. Gawd, wont do that one again anytime soon! LOL

Anyhow, I am looking at American Industrial Truck Models, CK-76 Diamond-T 1000C Conversion Kit http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/ck76diamondt1000c.html .

Is this a good conversion and is this company good?

The owner told me on the phone that to do the Diamond T 1000c i should get a Chevy Titan or GMC Astro for a donor kit. They want $70.00 for the conversion kit. Is that a good price?

I am working on a diorama of a Standard Oil Service Station in 1965, so it has to be an old truck. AMT, Monogram etc etc don't make those trucks. I also cant find any other company that builds the conversion kits for the old trucks. Has anyone done this kit? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

Ken

AITM has very good service, and I have been happy with the ones I've bought. His prices are pretty much in line with other casters.

Most of the castings were originally mastered quite some time ago AITM being the 3rd or 4th owner of the product line. Dave has really done a lot of work to clean them up, but they still have fairly thick walls compared to plastic and most lack small interior details like door handles, window cranks etc. If you compare his parts to those sold when it was MTFACO you can see there has been a huge effort taken to improve them. The actual castings are high quality other than the issues I mentioned. You will not find a lot of flash or bubbles on the parts.

The exterior detail is good and they can be built into very nice truck models.

I would not hesitate to buy anything from AITM, but you have to consider what you expect from a resin kit. It is not going to be like a modern plastic kit in fit or detail.

RMR is another resin caster with a nice selection of old trucks.

http://www.freewebs.com/rmrresin/

Edited by Aaronw

I've never built a AITM kit, but I have seen them built up at shows and they do look nice.As for RMR, I HAVE built some kits from him, and can surely vouch for their products! VERY nice,clean castings.You won't be disapointed with his products. :angry:

Edited by george 53

Ken,

I built the Daimond T 950 and it turned out pretty nice. The Diamond T's that Dave has (AITM) are nice kits and you won't be disappointed. I did a few extra's to mine, like cutting and hinging the doors and adding some "bling", but you will enjoy the kit. Some of the kits, (the Diamond T's I have are this way) are a single casting, meaning the grill, hood, fenders, doors/cab are all one piece and you have to seperate them if you want the hood to come off or the doors to open. I enclosed a link that will show my Diamond T 950 in hopes it will inspire you. Good luck!

David

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Kar...mond%20T%20950/

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info, with any mail/online company, you don't know what you'll get when you buy from them. Your replies helped me a lot. Takes a load of my mind.

RMR doesnt seem to have the type of truck I'm interested in. So I guess I'll go with AITM. I like the Diamond T 1000. I like the COE. Even if they do call it the "Cracker Box" LOL I'll post photos when I finish it.

It going to be an auto transport truck. At the moment, i'm doing the brand new 1965 Covette Stingray right now. It's starting to look pretty good I think.

Thanks Again,

Ken

Ken,

I built the Daimond T 950 and it turned out pretty nice. The Diamond T's that Dave has (AITM) are nice kits and you won't be disappointed. I did a few extra's to mine, like cutting and hinging the doors and adding some "bling", but you will enjoy the kit. Some of the kits, (the Diamond T's I have are this way) are a single casting, meaning the grill, hood, fenders, doors/cab are all one piece and you have to seperate them if you want the hood to come off or the doors to open. I enclosed a link that will show my Diamond T 950 in hopes it will inspire you. Good luck!

David

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Kar...mond%20T%20950/

Dave,

Thats a great looking truck! WOW!

Where did you get the mirrors? I would like to use real mirror glass, but I don't know where to get it. Also, How long did it take to build your truck? Just curious. :P

Thanks,

Ken

Hey ken,

I made the mirror brackets from .015 or .020 stainless wire (that I glued together with Krystal Klear) and the mirrors are that plastic made by MidWest Products. If you hobby store carries it, get some or search for it online. It is awsome and it's the closest thing I've ever seen to mirror (been doing this since 5th grade..about 33 years) They also have it in gold. It is thick (about .040). But, it is worth getting...I have found many uses for it!!

The truck took about 2 years (on and off) and I had to make alot of stuff just cause I wanted a certain look. I was just getting into machining so the stacks, tanks, lights,horns,handles,cleaners and the like were machined out of aluminum. The rig I just completed had turned rims that took me forever to do. I could go on, but I think all this type would bore you. IF you have questions or want to know more, email me at Karmodeler2@aool.com and we can exchange numbers and I can share some tips and techniques if you need some. I'm normally an 'out of box" type builder, but trucks have always held a place in my heart since I was about 7 years old, used to build them, started building cars, and now am just starting to get back into trucks. Hope all this is useful.....somehow?

David