Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT "Miller" GMC Astro 95

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good and things are in the right spot!  All your engine pipes are connecting well also!

I remember building this kit as my first truck and it was difficult for me.

When it comes to attaching things onto the frame, the instructions weren't explicit and I had to do many "trial and error" approach to connect all the dots.

Interestingly, even with all the problems I faced, I had so much fun building one; I ended up buying another kit so I can build another one in near future!

• Like 1

Worked a bit more on the fit of the crossover pipe today and test fit radiator with engine in.  Finally attached the fan support bracket to the block!   Was sweating that one as it needed to land the fan in the center of the fan shroud.

image.png.5d86f8dc274df2c75ca17c8d62e788ea.png

image.png.f88ee77639f29f48066f3c29e2c845c7.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I finally got the rear suspension and axles "tacked" in.  The molding of the Hendrickson beams and the axles is not great -- loads of "slop" all over the place with these.  To try to tighten things up, I had a buddy help me and we drilled the beams and then installed pins through the axle brackets and beams (like the real 1:1 suspension had).  Still some "tweaks" to do, but it's progress.

It also looks like the front torque rod is a bit long.  The forward axle is too "flat" and that makes the inner drive shaft between the axles not long enough.  So some correction to do there too I think.

image.png.e213a87448020ea5ae08480029ac38a4.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rockford said:

You're right about the torque arms, you can see the rear axles are splayed outwards at the top so that the pinion angle is pointing downwards. Not right.

I think the rear torque arm is probably OK ?   I would expect the rear axle to be "canted" back a bit like it is to make the drive line between the front and rear axle more of a straight line.

1 hour ago, Goodwrench3 said:

I think the rear torque arm is probably OK ?   I would expect the rear axle to be "canted" back a bit like it is to make the drive line between the front and rear axle more of a straight line.

Yes, it's mainly the front pinion angling down that hurts the trained eye, like looking at a left hand thread, just not comfortable with it. 

Just now, Rockford said:

Yes, it's mainly the front pinion angling down that hurts the trained eye, like looking at a left hand thread, just not comfortable with it. 

Agreed.  It didn't "smell right" to me. 

I've been trying to find a 1:1 photo of an Astro 95 with a Hendrickson suspension to try to see angle of the axles and the torque rods, but I haven't been able to find any yet.

This weekend I was able to finally "tack" the hinges in place and make sure the cab tilted with the bumper on and did not have any binding/clearance issues after lowering the cab.  Big win !  I will probably need to move the bumper up a bit when it's finally assembled.

I also got the front torque rod adjusted so the rear axles are better oriented and the center drive shaft fits right.

image.png.8f11c6f5f71a0fbdae94d3a412260e3f.png

image.png.78315b42294bb339968f62f2314965fb.png

image.png.e2c7b8771c2c7dac231070815b142017.png

image.png.b428c4a5b12c8ad3dc7b35ab096234e3.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Noticed that you use V- blocks for your mockups, I do exactly the same and just purchased a new set of 1-2-3 blocks and a set a precision parallels. They really help set up a mock-up. 

Hi --  what are these ?   " 1-2-3 blocks and a set a precision parallels. "  ??

Can you send me a link for these ?

Thanks !