Model Cars Magazine Forum

New release AMT 65 Pontiac Bonneville

RDean58

At the Art Center here in Aberdeen SD they have an "Open Art Session" every Thursday between 10am and 12pm. My wife and I go there, she usually works on her book while I prep models. Today I took in the 64 Cutlass 442 and the Bonneville kits. I moved the front axle holes forward on the Olds so the wheels look better balance in the wells.

AMT_1964_Oldsmobile_Cutlass_442_01.jpg

Then I started to work on the Pontiac. I had already started to narrow the rear for some big tires at home, so I thought I'd work on the engine.  You can guess what I came up with.

AMT_1965_Pontiac_Bonneville_SM_06.jpg

AMT_1965_Pontiac_Bonneville_SM_05.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to have to cut out the hood on the Bonnie!

Here it is mocked up with the wide tires on the rear and the set of wheels from an AMT 66 Nova pro-street kit. Not sure if they will be the ones I use or not.

AMT_1965_Pontiac_Bonneville_SM_02.jpg

I "narrowed" the rear the old-fashioned way. I removed the wheel wells and sanded down where the axles go through until I had enough clearance. I also thinned the fenders on the body as well. I'm using the backing plates for the slicks from the AMT 50 Ford convertible to mount them with a custom-made metal axle. Front tires are the BF Goodrich tires from the kit.

AMT_1965_Pontiac_Bonneville_SM_03.jpg

I'll remove badges and door handles on the side and probably paint the lower finned panels grey.  I'll get some card stock to remake the rear wheel wells so the inner body don't show. So, what do ya think? Is the world ready for a blown, tubbed 65 Bonneville?

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.