Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Atlantis (ex-Monogram) Funny Car Kits

Casey

On 2/17/2024 at 5:29 PM, Dave Darby said:

Well, how ancient are 49 Ford gassers? My 8 year old can't get enough of this stuff. And he has video games competing for his attention. The idea is, while spending time with your kids, you have to make it fun. Show them Youtube videos of those funny cars in action. There aren't many snap together models out there these days. We look for that stuff.

Sure, they are on the crude side for an adult, but they are a simple build for short attention spans. If you have an enthusiam for the subject matter, it'll rub off on them. Believe me, they won't be put off by lack of extra detail. The idea is to have fun and light the flame. 

My son's current modeling interests extend into military stuff, figures I'd wind up with an IPMSer...but the thing we found in building some of the Revellogram SnapTite military kits are...they suck, all forms of debris. None of them were able to be built out of the box without a significant amount of fiddling, filing, and sanding...and then me taking over and gluing stuff and putting it in clamps. Frankly considering how much of a fuss those kits were we would have been better off starting with Tamiya 1/48 glue kits and skipping the "simple build for short attention spans", cause they tested my attention span and I've been doing this since *I* was 8.

My son and I are currently splitting time playing Just Cause 3, maybe I'll get him a reissue of that Tamiya Alfa Gulia, since one of the cars in the game is clearly modeled in inspiration/tribute to that.

• Like 1