Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tailgate from the MPC 1968 Fleetside wanted

oyabaka

Hello, long time lurker here. I'm looking for a stock tailgate from the MPC 1968 Fleetside with the embossed Chevrolet lettering. I'm trying to make my father's truck, but the recently reissued 1972 Fleetsides have a different tailgate. If it helps, I have an address in the US.

Edited by oyabaka
misspelling

17 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

A builder on this forum (can't remember who it was) created an early tailgate using the 72 tailgate and grafted the letters from a Revell 64-66 fleetside t/g into it.

Looked perfectly correct!

Nice to be remembered Patrick. 

IMG 2296

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 4:45 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

A builder on this forum (can't remember who it was) created an early tailgate using the 72 tailgate and grafted the letters from a Revell 64-66 fleetside t/g into it.

Looked perfectly correct!

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I have bought Revell 1966 Chevy Fleetside with the idea of possibly doing that. The problem for me is that I'm not sure I have the skills to do it. I've been a long time lurker on this forum, but I have only just started building models again, after 30+ years, a year ago. I guess I could give it go.

3 hours ago, oyabaka said:

That looks really nice! Do you have any tips you could give me on how I could make mine as good as yours?

Just take it slow. Cut the lettered section a bit bigger than the hole it will go into and sand or file off a bit at a time until it fits in snug. A little putty may be needed but really, it's not hard.

IMG 1441

22 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Just take it slow. Cut the lettered section a bit bigger than the hole it will go into and sand or file off a bit at a time until it fits in snug. A little putty may be needed but really, it's not hard.

Thanks for the advice and WIP pic! That helps!