Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lace

Yo SDRODDER is a buddy of mine as you all probably know.Anyways he sent me a pm asking me how to lace a build of his.So that got me thinking and i went to the garage to find a good canidate.Well i found one and it is a 90ed caddy donk kit(well ex donk) that will be turned into a LECAB(convertable).I got in the lab today and started shooting paint.Here is my version of a How To Lace a model.Anyone else that have better ways go ahead and post them in here.

First:get some lace.I got mine at Wal-Mart 1/2 a yard for $1:50.

DSCN1398.jpg

I already cut mine to what i need for the project.

Second:put down a good base coat.

DSCN1399.jpg

While its still kinda tacky(enough to see you finger print on the surrounding box) put the lace down.

Third:spray an darker color to make it pop later in the paint job.

DSCN1400.jpg

I sprayed the darker color then took off the lace for you guys to see.

Fourth:spray the final color over everything.

DSCN1401.jpg

Mine will be blue as you can see.I added flake to the darker color to give it the added personal touch.

Fifth:Clear it.

DSCN1402.jpg

Remember to keep the lace touching the area you want it to appear so you will get all of the detail.

If all goes right your part/parts will look like these.

DSCN1403.jpg

Also keep your eyes open for my metallic blue 90ed cadillac lecab in the workbench section real soon :( .

Guest Davkin

Is there any lace out there that would be fine enough to actually be scale? I'm starting a late 50's style custom and would like to do two "laced" stripes on the roof if I can find lace fine enough.

David

Guest Davkin
how about this stuff:

Whatever our minds are they think alike ;) I looked up dollhouse lace on ebay myself and found that exact listing. It still seems large, (and a bit plain) for my purposes.

This may sound heretical, but why not have someone make a custom decal? It would have clean edges and be in scale.

A decal would be fine if you don't need to color match and on my project I want the lace color to match the body color. The main body on my project will be candy green over metalflake gold and the roof will just be metalflake gold and I was thinking a couple stripes of candy green lace would look good on the roof.

David

Is there any lace out there that would be fine enough to actually be scale? I'm starting a late 50's style custom and would like to do two "laced" stripes on the roof if I can find lace fine enough.

David

Yes most of the well stocked fabric stores will have the smaller stuff, mainly for doll clothing & etc, but it can also be easily found on 1:1 scale Dept Store Clothing.... Just make sure you don't raid your Spouse's Underwear Drawer, or She may have alot of questions for ya B);) You could also check the clothing dept. clearence sections, but again be prepared for the weird looks or comments(It can be less of a Nerve Ordeal, if you actually tell the small clerk that you need help finding something in a Lacy Top, for a Wife/GF/Etc that is about her size :o ) ;)

Nice to see you getting in touch with your femenine side there Evil <_<:lol:

Well im use to seeing them and well maybe taking them off LOL.

Wow evilone man oh man thanks alot thanks thanks thanks thanks. Time to get some paint on one of my cars. Was gona do that to a nomad but i found i will do it on another car but it is so great that you posted it up evil. Thanks thanks thanks.

Its all good bro just as long as it takes you to the next level :P .

You do know Evil that this trick was also used in the 1:1 body shop's, to add custom paint to the car's, it's a Lil secret, that kinda fell out in the 70's I think, but you will find some paint and body shop's still use this technique, to add that flair, and one off paint job. great tip tho, thank's for sharing...

You do know Evil that this trick was also used in the 1:1 body shop's, to add custom paint to the car's, it's a Lil secret, that kinda fell out in the 70's I think, but you will find some paint and body shop's still use this technique, to add that flair, and one off paint job. great tip tho, thank's for sharing...

Oh yha i know that bro.My body shop teacher taught me this and he is in his late 50's to early 60's.He tought me all the history behind this paint trick as well as how to do it.