Model Cars Magazine Forum

my very 1st skill 2 build

rlucky73721

ok, so this wasnt a normal build as i was lazy the 1st time i built it i didnt paint it and figured it would just look white.

well that was a mistake but so was pulling it apart to spray it.

i broke out all the windows accedently and bent the roof and it was way harder to put back together because of dry glue and no directions on a painted back bumper.

anyway please criticize me and tell me anything you see that obviously done wrong.

i painted it with 2 coats of testors black and 1 coat of testors laquer and it was painted on a folding wood chair and yet i had some issues with drying but i dont know what on the passanger side only.

well heres my ugly 70 chevelle SS

P1000260.jpg

P1000259.jpg

P1000258.jpg

P1000257.jpg

P1000256.jpg

basiclly ive been lurking around here at all your cars in amazement and would be happy to make cars only 1/2 as nice as yours.

Hm. Isnt it fun to build and tear apart again?? LOL. Heck even some of us "better" modelers do that still!! A bad paint job here or bad decals there or something fit in dry fit, but just wont when we have it all painted, or that darn finger print at last second when you try so hard to finish one the last minute for a show and you scramble for a decal to cover it up!! LOL. My first question to you is, did you have fun! That is the most important thing to it! All else falls in line one at a time after that! Everyone has thier opinions on what works for paint. I never could do a good paint job. Heck even a month ago I was not that happy, though happy enough with a paint job. Then I hit the right process for me! I use Duplicolor automotive paint in the can. Here is a pic of my car I hit the process right on before the decals. If ya want to get tips on how I do it, PM me with your email addy and Ill be more then happy to help ya along through my steps. Thanks. Jody

prochevy002.jpg

THANKS both of you.

i havent seen a bad model on this website and was a lil intimidated to post my pics.

i sure wasnt showing off, i was hoping for some of what you guys offered so i can not be offended at anything said about this mess.

i believe my paint was testors enamel black and my laquer was also testors but im not sure what type.

i have alot of cars but mostly diecast 1/24.

tbh i think i have all the die casts they actually sell in the stores that i like.

when i stumbled upon this site and seen what could actually be done with models i felt like i hit the jack pot.

so many more 1/24 cars to add to my collection.

i feel that when i build my next car it will look much better then this one turned out but still not on par with any of the pics ive seen here.

thanks for your comments and if your just reading this topic please feel free to add.

1 thing that really bothers me is the paint on the passenger side.

i was very careful to spray equally, allowed 36+ hrs dry time and then sprayed laquer.

thanks again

Roy

:lol: Guess what ? This is where everyone starts, I hope you don't think that we started building them clean :P NOT !!!!!! Just like anything else {pratice makes less mistakes} and like everyone has said, Did you have fun? thats all that counts here's one of my old ones and I love it and it wouldn't win no prize but I am still proud of it and that's what you should be and that's what counts.

f0782384.jpg

:lol: Guess what ? This is where everyone starts, I hope you don't think that we started building them clean :P NOT !!!!!! Just like anything else {pratice makes less mistakes} and like everyone has said, Did you have fun? thats all that counts here's one of my old ones and I love it and it wouldn't win no prize but I am still proud of it and that's what you should be and that's what counts.

f0782384.jpg

yeah, that looks sweet.

i was just not sure what to expect.

you know sometimes you run into forums where people dont want to give you the time of day if you are not as knowledgable as them or what not.

this 1st post was a great experiance for me.

thanks to you all

ok, so this wasnt a normal build as i was lazy the 1st time i built it i didnt paint it and figured it would just look white.

well that was a mistake but so was pulling it apart to spray it.

i broke out all the windows accedently and bent the roof and it was way harder to put back together because of dry glue and no directions on a painted back bumper.

anyway please criticize me and tell me anything you see that obviously done wrong.

i painted it with 2 coats of testors black and 1 coat of testors laquer and it was painted on a folding wood chair and yet i had some issues with drying but i dont know what on the passanger side only.

well heres my ugly 70 chevelle SS

P1000260.jpg

P1000259.jpg

P1000258.jpg

P1000257.jpg

P1000256.jpg

basiclly ive been lurking around here at all your cars in amazement and would be happy to make cars only 1/2 as nice as yours.

I see some mistakes, but I also see some decent work for a first time build at this level. I would suggest that you teardown this model again, or start fresh and build the model with a little more patience and care. treat each part as an individual model and try to get that part as perfect as you can, work with clean hands, and when you paint use care to keep the model as clean as possible, also use the same paint type the same brand. if you use Enamel Or Laquer always stick with one (dont mix). Get a large cardboard box to spray your model as kind of a paint booth, if you paint outside, as most us do it will help keep the dust off while drying.

Gabriel

dude paint is always been my bigest problem, :P don't let it discurage you. i'v had paint wrinkle and had one that I had tons of body work turn out looking like a bull frog. bumps every where. mystery spots and the all to common chip or thumbprint, just take a deep breath. relax and set it aside. :lol:

move on to the next one learning what not to do on that one. :D you will find after time it all works out weather it's the

(I need a part and an old build has it ) or the trip down memory lane and remembering what went wrong. :P

have fun and get creative. :blink:

For an early effort, you really did a decent job. I see signs of you having the basic skills under control, and you're obviously interested in learning and building more, so the rest is just practice. The best way to get that is by building.

You've already received a lot of good advice, but if it'll help, check out my club's web site's "tips" page. Some of the pointers there might not be of interest to you now, or ever for that matter, but some of them might come in handy at some point.

Keep watching and learning, and for goodness sake, keep building. You'll be impressed at the progress you'll make just by "doing".

Not too shabby at all for a first time build. As for the paint, like others here have said, don't mix the paints. Use the same compatible stuff throughout the job and you will achieve good results. Also if you are spraying paint from the can, get a jar of warm water and immerse the can in it. Warm paint flows better and you'll get a better glossy finish.

Hope this helps and definitely, keep it fun!

Welcome to the forum, Roy! Just like any other skill, model building takes time and particularly patience. As Dan said, with practice you will see your work improve with every build. Even if you don't paint much on your first few models, you will learn the basic skills of assembly, and how parts will fit better, as you go. Don't try to learn everything at once, as it will overwhelm you. Also, try to keep your first builds intact, as down the road you can look back and see just how much progress you've made. There really is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and the members will gladly help you. One other thing, if there is a model club near you, join it. That will most likely get you the best 'hands on' experience. Above all, if you're having fun, you're doing all right!