Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Tube Rat

Bernard Kron

I hesitated to post this because I have at least two other builds nearing completion that I’ve already posted and that still aren’t done. But a couple of weeks ago I hit a wall on them and came down with a serious case of builder’s block. I’ve had this idea for a while and thought I would start it to see if it helped. I’m hoping it did.

The idea was to build a super-light high-tech/low-tech rat rod from the Revell Model A Pickup Rat Rod cab and other spare parts I’ve got. The main frame tubes, the upper ones, are the larger ones, designed to take the bulk of stresses. The interior will be bare metal. The transmission and driveline will be left exposed. The exterior will be a faded and worn out purple of some sort, with primer and metal showing through as appropriate. I had considered chopping the top but I didn’t want to risk screwing up the really nice panel detail at the back of the cab. The grille shell will be a cut down Model A piece. The motor is a Revell Parts Pack Cadillac with the blower from the AMT HemiSphere and 6 Stromberg ‘97’s on a log manifold adapted from the Parts Pack (the carbs are missing in the pics). The motor slipped forward a little while I was shooting pics of the mockup and will set back and upwards a bit further when done. The rear end will have a 9 inch axle and a ’34 Ford rear spring. The very nice dropped front axle is courtesy of my modeling buddy CalSurplus so I don’t actually know where it came from. The build is for the NNL West so here’s hoping I get it done and that I actually make it down there!

Original concept sketch

(Click on picture for larger image)

th_TubeRat7copy.jpg

The build so far

th_DSCF1607-web.jpg th_DSCF1610-web.jpg th_DSCF1612-web.jpg th_DSCF1618-web.jpg th_DSCF1620-web.jpg th_Top-and-Bottom.jpg

Thanx for lookin’!

Edited by gbk1

Oh man, Bernard...I'm telling you...add a few plumbing fittings where the tubes come together and you could call this one the Sewer Rat!!

Based on the color of plastic on your front axle, my friends at CalSurplus tell me that it came from a very early version of Monogram's '37 Ford sedan.

And, the hotel extension of CalSurplus already has a room ready and reserved in your name the weekend of March 7th!!

So, get your "stuff" in gear, get it done and start heading south!! The NNL West awaits!!

Later,

Oh man, Bernard...I'm telling you...add a few plumbing fittings where the tubes come together and you could call this one the Sewer Rat!!

Based on the color of plastic on your front axle, my friends at CalSurplus tell me that it came from a very early version of Monogram's '37 Ford sedan.

And, the hotel extension of CalSurplus already has a room ready and reserved in your name the weekend of March 7th!!

So, get your "stuff" in gear, get it done and start heading south!! The NNL West awaits!!

Later,

This is a neat concept Bernard, and you're off to a great start. It's nice to see another Parts Pak Caddy put to use too!

And Raul is correct, that front axle and spring is from the first issue of Monogram's '37 Ford Sedan.

YEP......off the wall MORE!!!!

PS Raul....I didn't know about CalSurplus......I can use lotsa cheep goodies, whats the website???? :D:D

...PS Raul....I didn't know about CalSurplus......I can use lotsa cheep goodies, whats the website???? :D:rolleyes:

Mike,

You have my email address, my home address and probably my phone number. Sorry, but my website does not list what's "in stock" at CalSurplus. Drop me a line to let me know what you need and my "little helpers" can probably find what you're looking for, (like that quick-change rear end and suspension that's resting nicely under your '34 Ford pickup). B)

Later,

Bernard!? You OK? :blink:

This is our 'period correct' Bernard, right?

Well,whatever's goin' on with you, I'm loving The Tube Rat!!!

th_DSCF1610-web.jpg

Specially them plug wires standing up all proud like that!

Gotta incorporate that into the build somehow B)

aint the computer great for workin up ideas? B)

Thanx everyone.

I've actually gotten a lot more done on this thing, but not much that would be of any interest photgraphically (mainly general "housekeeping - like motor mounts, interior framing for the instrument panel and steering post, body work cleanup, etc.) A Major Strategic Error was gluing the frame to the body since any interior work can only be done through the roof, floor and windows. But the body is a structural element and I would have had to cut and then reglue sections of the body in order to build the entire frame externally and then install it. Oh well... The major challenge is imagineering and executing the rear suspension. It's critical because, of course, it will determine the stance, as it always does. Not much room back there to get it done, either.

Bernard!? You OK? :)

This is our 'period correct' Bernard, right?

Well,whatever's goin' on with you, I'm loving The Tube Rat!!!

Specially them plug wires standing up all proud like that!

Gotta incorporate that into the build somehow B)

aint the computer great for workin up ideas? :)

B)

Well, the discipline of building those two "period correct" roadsters just plum wore me out and is testing the limits of my abilities right now. I needed some release! I actually have lotsa ideas floating around that need to be built, not necessarily in the "historic" mode. Mainly, I just like the textures and proportions to look somewhat "real". But that's just my personal thing, and not necessarily what I enjoy in others' work, as you know. All of us just do what we can do... IMHO, sometimes we are better off leaving it to others to do what we can't, no matter how much we might admire what they do, Doobee, doobee, doo... :blink:

Regarding the plug wires, I agree completely, but I'm afraid I haven't come up with anything. I guess it will have to exist as a "temporary mohawk". The only thing I will do is make sure the distributor sits tall above the block and hopefully above the cowl line.

And yeah, I love my 'puter as a creative tool!!!

Edited by gbk1

I got some more work done.

The major challenge of imagineering and executing the rear suspension actually worked! The car has the stance I want. The wheels and tires aren’t the ones I will use in the completed build but they’re the right diameter to check how the car sits. The rear track will be narrower – I didn’t want to cut down the wheels I used for the mockup. The rear suspension is about 2/3 done, but devising a fore/aft locating system and placing the shocks will be tough. As I said earlier, it’s pretty tight back there.

The motor sits correctly now that I got the motor mounts done. And there’s plenty of room in front of the mill for the radiator and cooling stuff. Whew!!

The grill shell is a mockup with black paper glued in for the radiator. The top of the A shell opening has been reshaped into a widow’s peak around the Ford emblem to increase the cooling area and give the shell a little more style.

th_DSCF1628-web.jpg th_DSCF1627-web.jpg th_DSCF1630-web.jpg th_DSCF1625-web.jpg th_DSCF1624-web.jpg th_Deatils-011609-web.jpg

Thanx for looking.

Lookin' fine, 'Stancemeister' :P

th_DSCF1624-web.jpg

Just lovin' your framework/suspension imagineering :D ! A 'two tabbed frame'!

This would so out of this world cool to build 1:1, and then, to jump in and rev dat Caddy!

Talk about rockin' & rollin! :P

I can just see the body & frame twistin to one side when all that torque strains against that suspension!!! :lol:

Can't wait til you paint that front axle :D ...... :P:D:D

Got some color on the Tube Rat. I’ve tried two different paint jobs. The first was the originally planned purple color, using Model Master Panther Pink lacquer but I didn’t like it at all. I then decided to paint it a similar color to the original sketch. This is a blend of a Tamiya bright green and Testors Acryl Aircraft Carrier Green hand brushed over Testors Metallizer steel, then rubbed down with 800 grit sandpaper to dull it out and reveal patches of metal under the paint. The frame and interior are Metallizer Steel and the front suspension is Metallizer gunmetal.

th_DSCF1634-web.jpg th_DSCF1640-web.jpg th_DSCF1641-web.jpg th_DSCF1648-web.jpg th_DSCF1645-web.jpg

Thanx for lookin’.

Lookin' fine Bernard! Always best to stay with the original inspiration.

Who ever heard of a purple rat? :)

A green rat with tubes protruding thru the body--now that's more like it! :P

.......and thanks for takin' care of that front axle--it was kinda distracting, glowing orange & all B)

• 2 weeks later...

The Tube Rat is nearing completion. Left to do is the exhaust system (a key visual element of this build), installing the seats and steering wheel, detailing the steering system and suspension, some final plumbing, rigging up a lighting system, and final assembly. The front wheels are American Racing 12 Spokes from Competition Resins finished in Testors Metallizer Magnesium. The rear tires and wheels are of unknown origin supplied by CalSurplus. The rear wheels were stripped and refinished in Metallizer Aluminum Plate with Magnesium centers and chrome detailing. The tank is a resin piece from The Parts Box in Australia, finished in Metallizer Aluminum Plate with a light black wash to tone it down.

th_DSCF1655-web.jpg th_DSCF1652-web.jpg th_DSCF1649-web.jpg th_DSCF1653-web.jpg

Thanx for lookin’.

Thanx guys. What I'm enjoying most about this is that it's turning out looking very much like my original sketch - like a long neglected 60’s show rod enjoying a second life as a Rat. Also fun is that it's entirely either scratch built or from the parts box.

Got some more done so here are some detail pics. The seats are from Early Years Resin. I also rewoprked the front hubs so that the wheels sit closer in to the disc brakes. I hope to have this Under Glass by the weekend…

Thanx for lookin’.

th_DSCF1667-web.jpg th_DSCF1668-web.jpg th_DSCF1664-web.jpg th_DSCF1663-web.jpg

Edited by gbk1

Lookin' mighty fine, Bernard. Love the 3/4 front shot, with the headlights and the blue sparklies all neatly arrayed.

Always wanted to go for a ride in your 'rides', but after checkin' out the seats in this one........ B) , and that huge Caddy out front...... :unsure: , boy, I don't know...........must be coz I'm gettin' older, I think I'd be happy just to see and hear it go by! :lol:

Can't wait to see the exhaust built up on it.

Love your decal. B) You make?

Thanx again guys.

Can't wait to see the exhaust built up on it.

Love your decal. :P You make?

Actually that logo was the inspiration for the build, and yeah, I made the decal, but I sure didn’t design it! It’s one of the icons of “Boxcar Artâ€, called The Colossus of Roads. I’m convinced Billy Gibbons patterned his whole persona after this image. Here’s an “explanation†by the guy who created it, from the great documentary “Who Is Bozo Texino?†by Bill Daniel:

If you ever can get hold of this flick don’t miss it. Personally, I bumped into it by accident at 3AM on Public Access TV.

Here’s the basic positioning statement of the movie:

I really like that rotating arm rest!! :lol:

Extreme building – an old Hot Rod tradition. Gene Winfield circa 1954:

th_the_thing.jpg

(Click for bigger pic)

Nothing like a live, spinning u-joint just below your elbow to keep you alert when maneuvering 1500 lbs. and 500 horsepower down the road!

Extreme building – an old Hot Rod tradition. Gene Winfield circa 1954:

th_the_thing.jpg

(Click for bigger pic)

Nothing like a live, spinning u-joint just below your elbow to keep you alert when maneuvering 1500 lbs. and 500 horsepower down the road!

Yeah boy...like getting a necktie stuck in a paper shredder, don't let a loose cuff from your shirt sleeve get to close to that spinning U-joint or they'll be calling you One-Armed Willy. :D

And, while what's left of your arm is spinning around the driveshaft, beating you senseless while you try to get everything stopped, you might reconsider your design intent on the next build! :rolleyes::lol:

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

Yeah boy...like getting a neck tie stuck in a paper shredder, don't let a loose cuff from your shirt sleeve get to close to that spinning U-joint or they'll be calling you One-Armed Willy. :D

And, while what's left of your arm is spinning around the driveshaft, beating you senseless while you try to get everything stopped….

Yeesh! What an image.

Based on your urgent warnings a last minute design change was implemented during final assembly:

th_DSCF1681-web.jpg

My intent in this build was always to emphasize the tradition of safety and good road manners which has been part of the NHRA since its inception… This will of course be true of all future builds as well