Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first attempt at True-Flames.

Well first off we had a good meeting at Pegasus tonight. A lot of the fellas showed up. One of the homie's Russ showed up and had a how-to on true Flames. This is something I have never done before and wanted to do. So before I left Pegasus I picked uo some paint's that I needed to attempt the flames. This is what I came up with at my first try. Let me know what you think.

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE045.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE040.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE041.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE043.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE043-1.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE044.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE051.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE052.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE054.jpg

Edited by MR BIGGS

I have looked at some tutorials here and there trying to build confdence to try it myself. I notice usually they use a combination of three colors. Each either a tad darker or tad lighter from the original to highlight it! I have yet to try it as I am still scared. Other then the highlights, wich I cant tell for sure weather you did or not because the photos are slightly fuzzy, it looks like a excellent start esp. for the first attempt! So kudos to you. Its only up hill from here bro! Look forward to seeing the next couple! Jody

Looking really good for first attempt, Anthony.

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE044.jpg

Love the free form fogging here--looks like dat Mopar just drove thru a wall o' green flames :blink:

Don't know if'n Russ talked about 'complimentary colors' in his how to, but a bit of FYI: in the color spectrum, most colors have a 'complimentary color', a color that 'compliments' another color. Basically meaning that the complimentary color makes the other color 'pop' more. Red is the complimentary color for green, blue is the c.c. for orange, purple for yellow, black for white. Might think about laying down some red, just a hint over the black before laying down the green flameys---for another flame job. This one looks great as is. Easy to over do it. Maybe later, with a lot of practise, you could go back in with the 'flame' stencil and shoot a bit of thin red or purple in the roundy parts around the 'flames'--that'd really make the green pop, if that's what you'd want. You could also do that with the black.

Hope to see more flamin from ya in the future. Yer off to a great start!

better than I could do! I still have not used my airbrush more than twice, so I have to get used to it. I have been a rattle can guy for years.

I think you did great for your first time, but since I have no experience I can only offer my view.

To me it almost looks like watered down , blown through a straw flamage...not cutting your effort down at all! I don't know if it will help, but if you want I can post some pics of other ones and of a template that is made? Up to you....just being honest and like I said , it's much better than I could do....you will get it down though.....just look at the 300 MURAL you did! :o

Keep at it, I am sure you will be the next best flamer....no wait that didn't sound right. :D j/k bro

Well first off we had a good meeting at Pegasus tonight. A lot of the fellas showed up. One of the homie's Russ showed up and had a how-to on true Flames. This is something I have never done before and wanted to do. So before I left Pegasus I picked uo some paint's that I needed to attempt the flames. This is what I came up with at my first try. Let me know what you think.

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE045.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE040.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE041.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE043.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE044.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE051.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE052.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE054.jpg

I think they are a good start, although they kind of blend together causing some kind of confusion with my to my eye's. maybe two different colors like orange and yellow would help?IMHO

Thank for all the props and extra tips guy's they will come in handy. It was my first time too. I think after a few more try's I will get the hang of it.

atenzapower they are easier then you think bro. on these I used HOK chrome yellow, HOK candy organic green and HOK candy aztec gold. the yellow was mixed 50/50 the candy green was mixed 20% candy/50% HOK Intercoat clear/%50 reducer. Do the same with the aztec gold but add 20% green to it also so it will be the same color just a bit darker. The stencil was cut from a sheet of thin styrene, I just cut alot of tear drops all size's. on the first pic you just lay the flames on with the yellow ass you like and on the second pic is where you use the stencile to make the sharp cut's. If you messs up with a lil overspray it's all good the candy hide's most of that. then you lay the green to your likeing then follow that with the aztec gold.

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE040.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE041.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE043.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE044.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE045.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE051.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE052.jpg

300CHRYSTLERCOUPE054.jpg

Edited by MR BIGGS

They look good except for one thing (I'm not being mean here, just helping a bro out) they need to be more random. You have a pattern, especially on the hood. Look at pictures of real flames and you'll see what I mean. The color looks smokin' and they have nice depth. Good job! I love painting these on models, it's a lot of fun and you really can't mess them up! You guys that are waiting to do a car with real fire, just do it! It's only paint, it'll strip off!

They look good except for one thing (I'm not being mean here, just helping a bro out) they need to be more random. You have a pattern, especially on the hood. Look at pictures of real flames and you'll see what I mean. The color looks smokin' and they have nice depth. Good job! I love painting these on models, it's a lot of fun and you really can't mess them up! You guys that are waiting to do a car with real fire, just do it! It's only paint, it'll strip off!

Thanks Ron. :P

I never take it to the heart my brother. It's called constructive criticism and I take every word you and the other guy's say and apply it to the library in the brain. I am always willing to learn and never let something get by me when the opportunity is there. I will try another set of flames tonight and post what I got. Thanks’ again guys.

Anthony Rios.

Better than I could do!! Great Job!!!!

how about a copy 1:1 on your stencil???

Thanks Mike.

MY stencil? If it's what I think you mean I made it from a thin sheet of styrene. I just cut a bunch of tear drop all size's on it. You can see it in the first pic bottom left.

That looks pretty darn good from here! B) Someday I'll have the cajones to try a paint job like that. :D

I'm not afraid to try necessarily, just don't really know where to start or how to make it happen at the moment. :P Maybe if I'd seen a first hand demo as you describe I would be more inclined to just do it. ;)

Anyway, you got a good start on that one and I'm sure there will be even better ones on the way. Can't wait to see the finished product here. :D