Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy "LONGHORN" (camper special) pickup bed.

Greetings,

While looking at some old chevy camper brochures, I can see a splice at the front of the bed with added length and was wondering if there was any added on splices to the back of the bed that I can't see??   looks a little long in the back too.           THANKS

The "Longhorn" edition was Chevy's answer to the "Camper Special" by Ford (or was it the other way around?). Wheelbase was lengthened to increase load capacity for a big camper on the back.

Looking at the pictures, it appears the additional length was added only in the front of a longbed box. Doesn't look like the back end was any longer.

Curious if the pocket door on the side was for a spare tire like it was on the Ford? Maybe too small.  

Long Horn edition. 

72ChevyC30Longhorn_90k_large2.jpg.5c87f6158a883c92c4c52c0db7a7542f.jpg

Longbed 

ebay824873.jpg.8cc8dcf932e737b0611ce7021d639e47.jpg

F350 Camper Special. 

1978-ford-f-350-xlt-ranger-super-camper-special-reg-cab-2dr-v8-only-117k-miles-3.jpg.fc6866456b34d5e33aedeacb0a109059.jpg

8 hours ago, sfhess said:

I'm pretty sure the compartment on the Longhorn bed side is a storage/tool compartment.  You might get a small donut tire in there.

Longhorn came out in 68 it was on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton chassis cab frame . the wheel base was 6 inches longer and the frame rails were larger than a pick up chassis and only had leaf springs