Model Cars Magazine Forum

1954 Hudson Hornet Club Coupe

ModelcarJR

Thanks, Thomas! I appreciate your comment! 

I finished the interior, engine, radiator and firewall installation.  Next, I wanted to test-fit the body onto the frame before installing the windows in the body. I thought I could slip the rear end on first, expanding the body a bit with a toothpick and then slip the radiator support carefully over the radiator.  WRONG!  If I were the "Great Carnak" or a more prescient builder, I would have known to slip the front end over the radiator and engine until the inner fender liners hit the firewall and then push the back down and pry it over the frame with a toothpick.  I managed to knock of one of the horns on the firewall and bend the other one down.  There are plenty of warnings in these instructions but not a hint about how to mount the body on the frame. HINT: Slide the front of the body over the radiator and engine until the inner fender liners hit the firewall. Then push the back down and shoehorn the frame into the body. 

Here are the pics of the damage and the mock-up. I can re-install the horns once the body is on for good. I have since fixed the cannisters so that they sit level.  Thanks for looking!

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 1

Thanks, Dan! I appreciate your comment! 

I forgot to post photos of the interior so a couple are below.  I finished the engine bay by adding heater hoses using on of the holes for the horns and drilling another. Thus, this build only includes 1 horn on the left side. I'll have to re-do the battery but there is nothing I can do about the brush-painted radiator support. I got the body on by sliding the front on first which worked very well. I had to use clamps to tighten up the cowl/firewall joint. It appears I will also have to use clamps to glue down the front of the frame to the front bumper area in order to get the body to sit more level. 

I also knocked out the right side window while mounting the body on the frame. The instructions would have you attach all the exterior hardware before mounting the body. I never do that as too many things can go wrong and parts can get knocked off or broken in the process of mounting the body. You can see my fix for the window using a long toothpick with some handy-tack through the left window to re-attach the window. Once the glue has dried I will pull the handy tack off and hope for a good glue joint. Mounting the body is always a chore that is full of trials and tribulations for me.  But everything is pretty square now so mounting the hardware and decals is all that is left. Oh, I also need to add some foil around the windshield. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 1

hanks, Dan!  And you're right, this one is done! 

The hardware and decals all went on well. The bumpers, grill, mirrors, lights, door handles, all had positive pins and receivers that were well done. Other than my confusion with the instructions for the chassis, everything went well.  I did foil around the windshield so it looks like a double layer of chrome trim on top of the windshield but I wanted to surround the green triangle in each corner. Also I added foil around the bottom although there is no raised trim there. I thought about adding some plastic rod but I didn't. I just foiled the flat surface.  Nice kit! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwl4lr32sIjxgQql0J8YcjeVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1661463793

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz_0PFqJY2f-usrlah1b_baldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1661463795

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxWTVfab9YLH2-NRpYd2g9VrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1661463800

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwjgEiVJHRNIHtKzVuLW2Jd4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1661463787

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw9Fj7wmxHvHSvDHPKfI6me5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1661463790