Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mold help

Hi all, I recently made some pretty nice molds and already made the parts I need, what's the best way to store the molds for future use? Do I keep the halves together or separated, in a baggie or something so they remain soft and don't dry out? I have read as much as I could find about making and using the molds, but nothing was said about what to do after. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

Silicone is pretty durable stuff so I don't think you have a lot to worry about. I also understand absorbing moisture is more of a problem than drying out.

I bought some shoe box sized plastic boxes to store mine in, it helps keep them from getting dusty. I don't think it really matters of they are stored put together or seperate. I still have some of the first molds I made several years ago. Some have worn out from use but the ones that I don't use much are still good.

Rick; when you are planning to store silicone molds for a long duration; either put them in a ziploc; or a food saver vacuum bag.....Yhis will help the molds retain all of the silicone oil contained in the rubber; and they will be good for a LONG time....also; if you have heavier 2 pc molds, do not stack them; over time the addirional weight will distort the sides of the cavity mold shell........matt