Model Cars Magazine Forum

JR Salvinos kits enquiry...

G'Day all. Working in a LHS has it's advantages when it comes to getting the new releases first hand. We got in a mess of the new JR Salvinos Nascar kits, and I bought 6 of 'em right off the hop...! I'm really not a Nascar or regular car builder, but I just love the new Camaro livery on these things being a graphic designer by trade, the schemes just jumped right out at me.

My question for you "pros", is does anyone one just paint the bodies clear gloss so as to make it easy to put on the decals rather than painting the body all over again with the base color...?

Regards,

unclepine, Winnipeg

I've seen some modellers clean up the flash and seams on kits, then polish the bare plastic, especially with the larger kits.  I personally like to clean the model, prime to check for scratches and sand to level, then paint.  To me painting provides a more realistic finish, but sometimes doing a simple build can be fun too.  You need to build for yourself and have fun doing it.

Steve A.

I am no “pro”, but I am in the paint makes it more realistic camp. That said, you have six of them Laurie, so do a test on one to see what you think of it. JMO.🙂 Here are a couple links to videos where a guy puts the vinyl decals right on the plastic and then clear over top.

https://youtu.be/a2gCtXEVp34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aVrQM2H6ms

Edited by NOBLNG

Thanks for the tips and links chaps...yer right, I do have "extras", so I could give it a whirl and see how it goes. I can see there might

be a few issues where you can see some mold swirls in the plastic colour, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained...!

oldracer