Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bent frame

There's a couple things you could try.............you could heat the frame under hot water to bend it back to shape. It sounds like you've already built it up so be very careful!

Also, if you've got a food dehydrator, turn the temp up to 120° or so-----let the frame sit for about 15 min and then bend to shape. I would hold it in place until it totally cools down to minimize the plastic "memory". You can try this until all four wheels sit square.

I've heard of others taking a hair blow dryer and heating the plastic.............be careful though as those hair dryers get hot mighty fast! I personally wouldn't recommend that though since you've already built it up.

Even though this kit is a newer tool...........I always recommend looking over major parts for warpage before starting--------they don't always come out of the factory perfect. :D

Hope this helps!

I was building the Hippie Hemi (minus the gay bodywork) and noticed the frame was horribly warped. I got the frame together, zip-tied the bottom rails to a piece of wood (thus straightening the frame) and set it in the composite oven at work (set to 110 degrees) for 4 hours (that's when I took break). Immediately after removing it from the oven and with it still attached to the wood, I dunked it in ice-cold water for 15 minutes (length of my break). Cut the zip ties and no more bent frame. It even held its straight shape after paint and baking (again at 100 degrees this time and for 4 hours).

Edited by whale392

There's a couple things you could try.............you could heat the frame under hot water to bend it back to shape. It sounds like you've already built it up so be very careful!

Also, if you've got a food dehydrator, turn the temp up to 120° or so-----let the frame sit for about 15 min and then bend to shape. I would hold it in place until it totally cools down to minimize the plastic "memory". You can try this until all four wheels sit square.

I've heard of others taking a hair blow dryer and heating the plastic.............be careful though as those hair dryers get hot mighty fast! I personally wouldn't recommend that though since you've already built it up.

Even though this kit is a newer tool...........I always recommend looking over major parts for warpage before starting--------they don't always come out of the factory perfect. :(

Hope this helps!

Used the blow dryer method and it worked great!