Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hood Scoop for American Graffiti 1955 Chev

Hi all, Im wanting to build the 1955 Chev from the movie American Graffiti. Im stuck on the hood scoop. Can anyone tell me what kit I may be able to find the hood scoop from, or even close? The scoop on the Monogram Badman kit is not really that close. I was recommended the scoop on the Revell 1955 Chev with the opening doors. Im not sure how close that will be. Im also aware of the Revell 1955 Chev American Graffiti metal car. That car is pretty pricey now to purchase just for the scoop. 2 of the photos I have attached are from a build by 40 Watt Garage on YouTube. The scoop on his build looks like AMT grey plastic & looks about right. He hasn't responded to my enquiry. Anyone have any ideas on what kit that maybe from? 

Any help to point me in the right direction would be great. Thankyou.

SC110_3optA 2.JPG

9493437_orig.jpg

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

a scoop (not sure of its proper name) from the top of a blower might work if you cut it in half horizontally and stretch and widen it using the other half. If it was me thats what i would try by stretching first then widening it once its at the length you need. or maybe one of the hood scoops from a 70s firebird might work too

On 1/17/2023 at 5:01 PM, stitchdup said:

a scoop (not sure of its proper name) from the top of a blower might work if you cut it in half horizontally and stretch and widen it using the other half. If it was me thats what i would try by stretching first then widening it once its at the length you need. or maybe one of the hood scoops from a 70s firebird might work too

Thankyou, I had been thinking I may have to do that.

Someone online was asking about a real one for a replica build he was doing, and one of the suggestions was the hood scoop from a 57 Ford Thunderbird.  Looking at pics of real cars it does look kind of close.  Maybe you can find a spare hood from one of the AMT 57 or Monogram 56 T Bird kits that were made.

Steve A.