Model Cars Magazine Forum

STL Printables

I just stumbled up on this site which has lots of 3D printable cars in the STL format. However I know nothing about the quality of their work but I thought I should post it here in case someone maybe interested.

Main web page

https://stlprintables.com/

List of over 130 Chevy bodies

https://stlprintables.com/product-category/chevrolet/page/1/

List of 255 Ford bodies

https://stlprintables.com/product-category/ford/

27 Buicks

https://stlprintables.com/product-category/buick/page/1/

And many other car makes as well.

It's kind of a good time waster for browsing.

There are a few companies that offer printing services.

These files are also available on cults3d.com and after purchasing files, they provided options for printing services instead of just downloading the files.

If you want to take the plunge yourself, you can head on over to Amazon and get a full set up for under $500.

I paid about $600 CDN for an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro, an Elegoo Mercury Wash & Cure station, plus a couple of bottles of resin, and a box of latex gloves.

It's a little small to print larger car bodies though, so I'll be upgrading at some point soon.

You do not need to be a computer expert to do this, unless you want to design your own parts. I just obtain files and print, and it's pretty simple.

Check the 3D printing thread in the General section of this forum for a lot of info. :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

There are a few companies that offer printing services.

These files are also available on cults3d.com and after purchasing files, they provided options for printing services instead of just downloading the files.

If you want to take the plunge yourself, you can head on over to Amazon and get a full set up for under $500.

I paid about $600 CDN for an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro, an Elegoo Mercury Wash & Cure station, plus a couple of bottles of resin, and a box of latex gloves.

It's a little small to print larger car bodies though, so I'll be upgrading at some point soon.

You do not need to be a computer expert to do this, unless you want to design your own parts. I just obtain files and print, and it's pretty simple.

Check the 3D printing thread in the General section of this forum for a lot of info. :)

While I agree you don't need to be a computer expert It's not quite as simple as you are making it out to be anybody who has half of mind can figure out how to do it and do it pretty good I think that if you're fine with the run the mill files that are out there then you don't need to learn to design you can make a lot of stuff and there are tons of things out there you start talking about ultra detailed models things that are above what you normally find on Cults3D then you get into wanting to learn the design or at least modifying other people's designs. It's a pretty fun hobby but at the same time you can get us some really frustrating things what you paid for your Mars 2 back then can be done a lot cheaper now for say a Mars 3 plus washing cure You're probably looking at 300 to 350. Now if you want to start printing bodies at 1:24/25 scale I recommend at least getting something like a Saturn 2 

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

While I agree you don't need to be a computer expert It's not quite as simple as you are making it out to be anybody who has half of mine can figure out how to do it and do it pretty good I think that if you're fine with the run the mill files that are out there then you don't need to learn to design you can make a lot of stuff and there are tons of things out there you start talking about ultra detailed models things that are above what you normally find on Cults3D then you get into wanting to learn the design or at least modifying other people's designs. It's a pretty fun hobby but at the same time you can get us some really frustrating things what you paid for your Mars 2 back then can be done a lot cheaper now for say a Mars 3 plus washing cure You're probably looking at 300 to 350. Now if you want to start printing bodies at 1:24/25 scale I recommend at least getting something like a Saturn 2 

I was $500 CDN, so yes, much cheaper in US funds. 

The size is a definite limitation, which is why I'll be upgrading sooner rather than later. The Mars 2 or 3 is perfect for wheels/tires, engines, seats, etc, but printing bodies is a weak point. It's typically not big enough for a full body, and multi-piece bodies need a LOT of work to assemble and smooth out.

But for a 3D beginner, I still think it's super easy to be up and running as I described. If one wants to design or modify files though, computer skills would be required.

14 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I was $500 CDN, so yes, much cheaper in US funds. 

The size is a definite limitation, which is why I'll be upgrading sooner rather than later. The Mars 2 or 3 is perfect for wheels/tires, engines, seats, etc, but printing bodies is a weak point. It's typically not big enough for a full body, and multi-piece bodies need a LOT of work to assemble and smooth out.

But for a 3D beginner, I still think it's super easy to be up and running as I described. If one wants to design or modify files though, computer skills would be required.

I do think though the mess and smell of resin printing is one of it's biggest drawbacks. Even before I was selling my resin printer was banished to the garage by my boss.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I do think though the mess and smell of resin printing is one of it's biggest drawbacks. Even before I was selling my resin printer was banished to the garage by my boss.

A well ventilated room and a reasonably understanding wife are important too!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I print in the same basement room I paint in. When I print I turn on the externally vented blower on my paint booth, which handles the ventilation with no complaints from the "boss".

On 2/16/2023 at 1:08 PM, MeatMan said:

I print in the same basement room I paint in. When I print I turn on the externally vented blower on my paint booth, which handles the ventilation with no complaints from the "boss".

I agree a printer or two in a basement not a problem if ventilated, 13 printers and all the ancillary equipment full of alcohol and well in Texas we dont have basements is not happening. I am not saying its impossible just you need something like that, for me the equivalent to the basement is the garage and you can smell it in my front yard, but I am a little more equipped than the home user. I encourage people to get into the printing hobby, but I am very straight forward that its not all sunshine and rainbows. I do think you just need to plan for the hobby that's all.

22 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I agree a printer or two in a basement not a problem if ventilated, 13 printers and all the ancillary equipment full of alcohol and well in Texas we dont have basements is not happening. I am not saying its impossible just you need something like that, for me the equivalent to the basement is the garage and you can smell it in my front yard, but I am a little more equipped than the home user. I encourage people to get into the printing hobby, but I am very straight forward that its not all sunshine and rainbows. I do think you just need to plan for the hobby that's all.

No, you're absolutely correct. I wasn't thinking about a commercial setup. I have no wish personally to print for $$. I don't even do bodies.