Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future Floor Finish

I recently put together a deuce roadster (pictures to follow). I had painted it with a spray can (my last spray bomb paint job forever). The paint came out fine except when I began polishing it I discovered it was way too soft.

I pondered carefully what to do about it. I considered disassembling the roadster and repainting it. That's what I was about to do when I thought about Future. I decided to try it as I could always do the repaint later. I poured a tiny bit of Future into a bottle cap. I used Q-Tips to apply a thin coat to the model. After letting it dry I buffed it lightly with a micro cloth.

The Future laid down smoothly and attained a brilliant shine. It should last forever as it is simply an acrylic clear coat. You can use it over any paint. If possible you can simply airbrush it on, but I couldn't in my case.

I strongly recommend Future as a clear coat.

Edited by Helipilot16

I recently put together a deuce roadster (pictures to follow). I had painted it with a spray can (my last spray bomb paint job forever). The paint came out fine except when I began polishing it I discovered it was way too soft.

I pondered carefully what to do about it. I considered disassembling the roadster and repainting it. That's what I was about to do when I thought about Future. I decided to try it as I could always do the repaint later. I poured a tiny bit of Future into a bottle cap. I used Q-Tips to apply a thin coat to the model. After letting it dry I buffed it lightly with a micro cloth.

The Future laid down smoothly and attained a brilliant shine. It should last forever as it is simply an acrylic clear coat. You can use it over any paint. If possible you can simply airbrush it on, but I couldn't in my case.

I agree!! Use a 2" wide SOFT brush and lay it on. watch the edges and corners, wick away the extra with a paper towel....WOW!!!!

and if you do not like it etc then wash it off with windex!

Thanks for the tip. :D

I used to use alclad all the time, but I did not like it when it came off on your fingers. One of my buddies’s told me a long time ago to used Future floor wax, I thought he was crazy, but I guess he wasn't. I am going to give it a try today thanks again for the assurance.

Thanks for the tip. :D

I used to use alclad all the time, but I did not like it when it came off on your fingers. One of my buddies's told me a long time ago to used Future floor wax, I thought he was crazy, but I guess he wasn't. I am going to give it a try today thanks again for the assurance.

If you go looking for it in the store, you won't find "Future" anymore. They changed the name to "Pledge with Future Shine".

Yeah, that's a better name! :D

If you go looking for it in the store, you won't find "Future" anymore. They changed the name to "Pledge with Future Shine".

Yeah, that's a better name! :D

Thanks Harry.

I will go look for some today. I got an old Merrits hardware down the street, they always carry some hard to find products too.

I can also attest to the simple pleasure of applying future. Just last night I airbrushed a coat on to my 1960 Pontiac coupe and it looked just great this morning. Easy and self leveling so it drys nice and flat and shiny. If you have never tried it.....try it. You don't have to airbrush it on, you can either airbrush or just brush it.

I have been using Future for years, It is the safest of all clearcoats and it will protect ALclad with the least change in shine of any clear coat. The link below will tell you everything you need to know about using Future. I have learned to apply it by wiping it on with disposable makeup pads, I use a Q-Tip to get in small and hard to reach places. Regular Ammonia strips it and will not touch any paint except Tamiya's Acrylics in the jar.

Future

You guys have convinced me!! I'm going to have to try future on my next paintjob. One question though,can/should the paint be sanded smooth first?

Absolutely! The Future will follow the contours of you model very faithfully, including defects. I always sand my paint, then apply Future. Don't try to use anything over Future. Other polishes will attack it, and you'll have a mess!

Think of Future as the final coat.