Model Cars Magazine Forum

What an axle bearing on a railroad freight car does when it fails...

Ace-Garageguy

On 1/24/2024 at 10:02 AM, bobss396 said:

My son works for the NYC MTA, in the Coney Island Brooklyn yard. He works on wheels and axles for passenger trains and subways, these axles are very heavy duty. They have something around a 6000-ton press they use all the time. It recently broke and his group had to be reassigned while it was under repair, waiting on parts.

Wow,i seriously hope your son makes a really good living for himself and his family.Cause that has got to be one of the “toughest” jobs i can think of.Outside,freezing in the winter,boiling in the summer.Trains flying by,praying there not on the wrong line.I’ve been at that yard,it’s a pretty chaotic rough place to have to work in.Your kid deserves a medal,or a month off with pay.😄I mean almost every part of a train is heavy duty.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Wow,i seriously hope your son makes a really good living for himself and his family.Cause that has got to be one of the “toughest” jobs i can think of.Outside,freezing in the winter,boiling in the summer.Trains flying by,praying there not on the wrong line.I’ve been at that yard,it’s a pretty chaotic rough place to have to work in.Your kid deserves a medal,or a month off with pay.😄I mean almost every part of a train is heavy duty.

They are inside for the most part, but it is dirty and dangerous work. He makes a good buck for himself. If only he can hang in for his 20 years. I did heavy work years ago, but nothing like this.

Yea,me too,when I was younger.Well that ain’t bad if he’s inside.I just remember meeting a friend of mine down at his MTA,job in a yard in Brooklyn,if I remember right.He was usually outside most days,no bad weather.Thats when he would work inside.I remember though that there were trains flying by.Well I mean they were a good distant away.And dam they can move..But you gotta just be extra careful I guess.Well it’s kind of like NYC construction jobs.🥃