Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Vintage Police Car

Being a fan of 20's and 30's dirt track racers, the re-release by Stevens International of AMT's Vintage Cop Car caught my attention. With a separate frame, decent looking wire wheels and a chrome plated DOHC Frontenac conversion for the Model "T" engine, this kit just begs for conversion to an early dirt tracker. There's plenty of photos as well as plans/drawings on the net to use as reference. Haven't even finished my Monogram midget racer and I'm already working on the dirt tracker-well a little bit, anyway. Just to see how things look. If the engine looks decent, I'll use it as a master and cast resin copies for future builds.

I'm always looking at kits as possible sources of parts

Jim.

I'd love to see some close-up pics of the extras included with the kit- rifles, etc.

Or am I thinking of the MPC '28(?) Lincoln "Gangbusters" kit?

Casey,

This kit has what looks like a crude molding of a pump shotgun, an old fashioned loudspeaker(megaphone), two keystone cops style helmets and two night sticks.

I don't have any pics yet, but when I get into building the dirt tracker I'll post some.

Jim

Ah, I see. I think it was th other kit I mentioned I was thinking of which comes with a case of beer bottles, a tommy gun, etc.

The kits with the whiskey (bootleg) bottles, Thompson Submachine Guns etc, were the MPC Gangbusters series kits ('27 Lincoln Roadster, '28 Lincoln Sport Phaeton, '31 Chrysler Roadster, '32 Chrysler Imperial Convertible Sedan, and the '32 Chevy Cabriolet/Sedan Delivery double kit.

Art

Being a fan of 20's and 30's dirt track racers, the re-release by Stevens International of AMT's Vintage Cop Car caught my attention. With a separate frame, decent looking wire wheels and a chrome plated DOHC Frontenac conversion for the Model "T" engine, this kit just begs for conversion to an early dirt tracker. There's plenty of photos as well as plans/drawings on the net to use as reference. Haven't even finished my Monogram midget racer and I'm already working on the dirt tracker-well a little bit, anyway. Just to see how things look. If the engine looks decent, I'll use it as a master and cast resin copies for future builds.

I'm always looking at kits as possible sources of parts

Jim.

That Frontenac DOHC 16 Valve conversion is a feature of every AMT '27 T Touring car kit. It needs only a proper upper radiator hose and water outlet (in the middle of the upper part of the timing chain housing) to be accurate. Joe Henning, in the old Rod & Custom Models magazine 45 years ago, showed a neat body shell for that dirt tracker, using two of the upper halves of the streamlined dragster body shell nose, glued together, to make the rear part of the body, and the tail.

Art