Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished! 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 Eleanor

Peter Lombardo

She is complete, fully dressed and ready to meet her public. I just completed her, in fact the white glue is still wet in her headlights, but other than that she is ready for the streets.

Just a short recap of what I did to the car. This started out as an AMT Mustang Shelby GT 500. I opened the doors and truck and hinged them.

The front air dam is scratch built as are the front and rear wheel opening flairs. I added the ground effects to the lower rocker panel with the exhaust outlet just in front of the rear wheels. The hood bulge was scratch built and to some new Shelby que’s to the car I added the air outlets and grills to the bulge.

On the front of the car, I added current Shelby parking lights. I cut a grove in the bumper, painted it white and later filled it with epoxy mixed with clear orange Tamiya paint and let it set up. The road lights in the grill came from the Revell Super Stallion Mustang kit. The smaller fog lights are MU lens for HO trains. I added the rear spoiler which is the type used on race cars where the height can be adjusted. I cut open the slot’s and used small ho nut and bolt’s. The interior has resin racing seats with photo etched seat belts.

I lowered the stance and made the front wheels pose able. The wheels and tires came from the parts box and I really don’t remember where they are sourced from, but I like how they look on the car. The rear view mirrors came from the Dodge Cooperhead kit.

The engine is from the revel parts packs, the Ford 427 unit. It was wired up with most of the plumbing and it really fills up the engine compartment. I added braided oil lines from the engine to the twin oil filters and down to the oil cooler in the front of the radiator. I added a photo etched electric fan to the radiators front. The hood pins are photo etched units and I made the grills from a photo etched screen cut to fit and painted black.

The stripes are computer cut from vinyl and put on over the pearl white and then the car was painted Tamiya metallic blue and then clear coated. And of course, the chrome is all bare metal foil.

Well that’s it I saved the $80 or $90 bucks for the resin transkit, added a few mod’s of my own and I now have a pretty blue Eleanor, now I just need to save some real money and get an Eleanor for real.

Please excuse the cat hairs and I have no idea why, but my camera will add a strange yellow tint to some of the pictures for no apparent reason….drives me nuts….I have to get to the bottom of this one of these days. Anyway, here she is.

3289674518_5a1b9fae27_b.jpg

3289675026_41e62b924e_b.jpg

3289675652_95af8c3b51_b.jpg

3289676264_792b3d7bd4_b.jpg

3289676916_4d9b56fd5a_b.jpg

3289677548_659f016b98_b.jpg

3289678230_ea71c96faa_b.jpg

3288861633_8e4b4547df_b.jpg

The one thing I never understood about Elanor was the hood.

You really improved on a theme, here. I truly think that after making this one, the "real" thing may be a let down to you. ...Still they would look pretty good side by side on a shelf together...

Any way GREAT WORK!!

• 2 years later...

I've always had a problem with "Eleanor" because it's not a real Shelby (nobody in their right mind would do that to a real Shelby), even though it's billed as one in the movie from which it originates. I also think the "Eleanor" front-end treatment sucks donkey balls from the hood scoop all the way down to the bottom of the front air dam. That being said, you did some real nice work there. The blue is very nice.

Your yellow problem is that the camera is forgetting its white balance settings for some reason. You can fix that with some post-processing of the photo in PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro.