Model Cars Magazine Forum

Silly Surfers Hodad... My collection is complete.

My Silly Surfers collection is now complete. Between these and Fred Flypogger and Ed Roth I have an entire section of just crazy figures and I have not even started with the other Hawk stuff which I am about to get into.

Acrylics as usual and I fired up my old Image Styler program to make the sixpack logos. Nothing fancy just printed on good paper and craft glued tothe styrene cans and holder.

The sweater is my own design. I still have to paint a sunflower and a couple of lilly's yet. But it is far enough along for me to post.

Enjoy Hodad making the scene with a sixpack.

20230420_161455.jpg

20230420_161501.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dragline said:

All lined up.

PXL_20230329_152512890.jpg

Now there we go!

Officially the second person that I have ever seen that has read the Thomas Covenant series!

Now tell me that the Battle Circle trilogy is hidden among the Piers Anthony books.

Edited by Tcoat
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Now there we go!

Officially the second person that I have ever seen that has read the Thomas Covenant series!

Now tell me that the Battle Circle trilogy is hidden among the Piers Anthony books.

It is as well as Xanth and Bio of a Tyrant. I am proud of my Covenant books as they are all first editions including the tougher to find first book in the series. It is my understanding that the outer cover paper was of a rather poor quality so getting nice examples can be tough. My copy is very nice. Lester Del Ray was notoriously cheap in this regard.

Good eyes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dragline said:

It is as well as Xanth and Bio of a Tyrant. I am proud of my Covenant books as they are all first editions including the tougher to find first book in the series. It is my understanding that the outer cover paper was of a rather poor quality so getting nice examples can be tough. My copy is very nice. Lester Del Ray was notoriously cheap in this regard.

Good eyes.

My first edition set is more like a loose leaf binder with about 60% of the pages falling out. Have read them about 5 times over the decades and just finished the most recent read last summer. 

The series can be addictive and considering the tomes involved that is indeed quite an accomplishment. I first read Lord Fouls Bane in 1981 at 17. I borrowed the other two paperbacks from Mums and read those as well. They were addictive to my young mind at the time. I didn't know of the second Chronicles for at least another year. When I found that out I sought them out and bought my first hardcover edition of The One Tree off the stand. I eventually revisited the six book series at least twice more before I put them all on the shelf for many years

When the Last Chronicles were announced some years ago it renewed interest and I sought out all first editions on eBay so my collection would be a fine one. I also have two first edition Lord of the Rings books from that period and had inherited my Uncle Steve's massive collection of Doc Savage pulps around that time. I have been collecting comics since the late seventies so I had a collectors mentality. I have a few signed copies of the Chronicles as they were being released in the early 2ks. So my collection has been complete for some years. I may revisit the series once more before I go to The Land for the last time myself. The series is now 10 books in total and is an undertaking once you decide to embark on the journey.

It is well worth it.

I also have Donaldson's Gap series and some of his other works but for me The Chronicles remains his seminal series

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 7:15 AM, Dragline said:

I also have Donaldson's Gap series and some of his other works but for me The Chronicles remains his seminal series

I missed this comment earlier. I read the Gap Cycle when I was a teenager and it was amazing to me at the time. I then read The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through. Loved all of it. It was so different than Asimov or Bradbury.