Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hard body slot cars

Jairus

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, Jairus said:

When I was a kid back in the 70's one HO slot car really had me hooked.  It was marked an AFX '29 Woodie.  But as I got older I realized that the parts are more 1930 with a 1931 grill.
Didn't matter much to me as I had all those parts in my storage so.... began to construct the 1/24th scale version using a 1929 AMT wood body with '29 Fenders and a Monogram 1931 grill and a bit of hood.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The spruce wood was to make the backing panels which were cut using the kit parts as a pattern.  The wood was then stained and varnished to a smooth shiny finish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chassis work began about this time with picking wheels from Cox and gluing and truing a set of rear tires.  Then a motor and bracket were found and made up from a later Russkit bracket, brass tubing and rod.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Front axle is just a tube holding a 1/8" metal axle trimmed on the ends with a keeper slot which makes the front wheels independently rotating.

Once the chassis was done and body mounts constructed, I set about painting the body.  Black fenders, yellow wood framework.  The window glass in the HO car was green so I had to source some green plastic sheet and install that along with a flat plate interior and a driver upper torso.  The front guide is a Cox trailing guide making the drop arm quite a challenge to construct.  Sorry no better pictures other than the finished thing top and bottom.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that is it, respectfully submitted.  😎

Outstanding work on this!

• 5 months later...
On 5/17/2023 at 2:51 PM, Jairus said:

Yet another hard body slot car, a NASCAR 1964 Ford Galaxie built from an AMT curb side kit.  The body was modified by removing all the chrome trim and wind wings.  A scratch built chassis was constructed in order to fit a Pittman motor.
Interior required some cutting to clear the motor and a scratchbuilt roll cage.  Decals are some sort of aftermarket items from Patto's.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

😎

Nice job, btw, the brackets to attach the chassis to the body, what did you use  to make them ?