Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '72 Ford F-250 4x4 Ranger XLT

I've started this as a club build and thought it might be a good idea to document all of the issues/corrections/fixes etc. that I've run into.

First issue is the rear springs.  The top of the rear of the spring extends above the mount and this interferes with the box sitting properly on the frame.  It needs to be filed down level with the mounting plate.  In the image, the spring on the left is the standard kit rear spring.  The spring on the right has been filed down as described.  Note also in the 1:1 photo how the spring should have been molded -- note how the top of the spring at the rear is below the top of the mounting plate.

More to come...

springs.jpg

frame.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There are several things that are "off" with this kit -- it's unfortunate.  But I like the truck.

I'll keep posting "issues" for those that want to build a closer, more accurate replica of the 1:1 '72 F-250 4X4.  If you just want to build the kit out of the box and don't care, you can disregard these items.

Thanks for your interest !

Edited by Goodwrench3

The valve covers on the FE 360 engine in the kit were a disappointment.  Luckily the valve covers from an AMT kit FE engine fit well and match the ones I've seen on every '72 F-250 360 engine (with the "Power by Ford" on them).

354937702_812796590445920_2276083958148702755_n.jpg

355040087_1401418254037505_4956427675566938457_n.jpg

942225845_unnamed(2).thumb.jpg.173bb937fa30a0cd55b96840fe60e41a.jpg

001.jpg

Edited by Goodwrench3
Added image
  • Like 2

Another area that needs work -- the front crossmember.  This one shouldn't be an open "U" (and of course shouldn't have a pin sticking up to go through the oil pan).   The triangle cut outs are there because of another issue -- to clear the fuel filter on the left side.  But--the crossmember is actually not located correctly because the fuel filter should not be directly on top of the crossmember.  So -- filling this crossmember and removed the pin.  We'll deal with the fuel filter later.

unnamed.jpg

23_09.jpg

• Like 1