Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wheel paint masks for creatively reemploying model rocket nose cones.

Greetings and apologies if I've posted the same basic thing previously...

Something low-cost to employ (or at least experiment with) for the purposes of applying paint finishes to rims with exterior lips either machined or chromed, or less likely but still possible two-tone finishes (see below), consider grabbing a supply of scale model rocket nose cones.  Seen below is a 1:18th diecast release than slightly underwhelmed for having inappropriately finished wheels (the center stamping should be painted black), whereas after much hemming and hawing, I finally gave matters a try for working up a two-part mask as illustrated.

One section divides the outer pressed steel rim finished in silver from the center wheel stamping.  Prepared carefully, the paint mask was thinned as much as I dared to fit as evenly and as tightly as I could manage (i.e. one simply doesn't have to 'live' with the as-delivered nose cone material thickness where it counts), whereas a relief for the air valve was carved out with a file to more or less lock the mask in-place when time came to apply a finish.  Notice that the tip of the same cone was saved and trimmed to match the wheel center/lug surround trim in this instance to protect what couldn't be removed and safely tucked away off-site.  I've done something similar for other 1:18th topics, carefully marking what was created for what purpose, whereas after a time the rocket nose cones (which can be purchased separately in a bundle should one look around versus being charged all-up for a whole model rocket kit) just become part of one's tool kit/bag of tricks.  Thanks...

1276742671_KyoshoBMW2002turbowheelsrepaint006.JPG.f7ade2a41a1d88359b871a4daee9d807.JPG

Not everyone will have a hobby shop that splits the cones out separately for sale, but for looking it's possible to source such...

1327726215_KyoshoBMW2002turbowheelsrepaint002.JPG.387fb2a19b8190a2a2222ac4e777e02f.JPG

The factory promo iterations (or at least some) didn't have the wheels finished appropriately.  It was like I was ashamed to display it given people would talk!  

1747817113_KyoshoBMW2002turbowheelsrepaint004.JPG.f32a5a216ad0e4bbaa1dd0567148bf86.JPG

Compressing much (hey - it's a Turbo after all!), noticed will be my masking setup ready to go...

962759144_KyoshoBMW2002turbowheelsrepaint005.JPG.d9954f77d868392e5fcdf796b2399b04.JPG

Not perfect, but then the wheel masking on a silver/Polaris-painted version of the same basic release frankly isn't much better - or may rate as even a tad worse.  

Mike K.

Edited by swede70