Model Cars Magazine Forum

BBC Single-Plane Intake Manifold, Finally!

Great news for all of you BBC Street Machine, Pro Street, Street Outlaw, and other Drag Racing fan/model builders.

Those of you who know something about Big Block Chevy engines, know the performance quickly falls off above 5,500 to 6,000 RPM with dual-plane intake manifolds. Additionally, when using Nitrous Oxide they perform far better with a single-plane intake manifold. I've been looking for well over a year, and even asked a few different resin casting guys about making these single-plane intakes, but until recently, had no luck. Thanks to Joel Mendoza of Iceman Collections, we finally have these badly needed intake manifolds available. Although it isn't named as such, it has the general appearance of a typical Edelbrock Super Victor intake manifold, a dyno proven racer favorite. Those of us who've long waited for these intakes can finally buy them at a steal of $3 each. Of course, those looking to add one or more Nitrous systems to their BBC engines can now have the exact intake that's needed to get the job right. Link: BBC Single-Plane Intake Manifold

583458316_BBCIntakeIceman_001.jpg.dea9cebd67d716bb626746b62542e946.jpg

Note: This is one (above) of my new intakes that I hastily slopped some flat white enamel primer on, followed by an equally rushed brushed on aluminum paint job. Below is as printed by Iceman Collections (except they're actually done in gray resin).

1308710671_IcemanBBCIntakes.jpg.b5cbb236285ad5dbfb7fb7c04c926fa7.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 2:24 AM, horsepower said:

There's been a single plane intake produced by AMT for quite a while now, they're on the big block engines in the dirt track Modified center steer Tobias Chassis kits.

Since many of us (street/drag/road racer types) have no clue about the specific chassis style you mentioned, could you please give the kit names so we could Google them?

Bytownshaker, Thank You for sharing that information. Hopefully there are some here who will find it useful. Although I feel I now have all the single-plane bbc intakes I'll ever need, I might even look into these just for the possibility of having something different? To be fully honest, I can't help wanting at least one of these, tall, cool looking, bad boy's:

pfh-206-jr-10_oh_xl.jpg.328ebb1d1e433b178cc8ea78a3ba88b3.jpg

Calb56, and others looking for a sbc single-plane intake, I remembered another source. The following kit, possibly related others I'm not familiar with, have such an intake manifold. I've got one and tested it on an amt bbc engine (67 pro-street chevelle) and it fits reasonably well, good enough if you only need one, it'd work.

s-l960.webp.168cc2d7ee94088eae564e1c240a403e.webp

On 7/10/2023 at 11:11 AM, Lone Wolf said:

Since many of us (street/drag/road racer types) have no clue about the specific chassis style you mentioned, could you please give the kit names so we could Google them?

It's the "Early Modified" series of kits and these are a little different than most you're going to find, it's an early I believe it might have been a Wieand and they have the carb twisted slightly on the top of the runners and the theory was that it equalized the runner lengths to the different intake valves.