Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modified Revell Chopped Knucklehead...

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Ken!

Much more proportioned and realistic than the box-stock build. Bravo!

CT

While this is a beautiful built bike, I will have to disagree with that......lol. This bike i rode for nearly 10 years during the 90s before the big Chopper explosion. 20221206_221149.thumb.jpg.fcd26b40a6eb5383a6d40fe061a6b167.jpg20221206_221135.thumb.jpg.5a577586ba6ef3cf3782d313c7924595.jpg

5 hours ago, Rocketman455 said:

While this is a beautiful built bike, I will have to disagree with that......lol. This bike i rode for nearly 10 years during the 90s before the big Chopper explosion. 20221206_221149.thumb.jpg.fcd26b40a6eb5383a6d40fe061a6b167.jpg20221206_221135.thumb.jpg.5a577586ba6ef3cf3782d313c7924595.jpg

Hi Chuck!

Your Sporster was great looking, if only because the lower frame section is "almost" paralel to the ground. A balanced look.

The LA Chopper has a springer that is a smidge too long, giving the bike an "uphill" look. Now, I understand it was hot in the late 60's. But I was riding back then, and believe me, some exagerated chopper were a handful to drive. 

My chopper had a 10" over AEE Fury springer, a level lower frame (extended & raked), but drove fine. 

In the end, a matter of taste. Or survival? 

As the saying goes: " I went trough the 60's twice, and it was more exciting the first time" LOL. 

CT 

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Chuck!

Your Sporster was great looking, if only because the lower frame section is "almost" paralel to the ground. A balanced look.

The LA Chopper has a springer that is a smidge too long, giving the bike an "uphill" look. Now, I understand it was hot in the late 60's. But I was riding back then, and believe me, some exagerated chopper were a handful to drive. 

My chopper had a 10" over AEE Fury springer, a level lower frame (extended & raked), but drove fine. 

In the end, a matter of taste. Or survival? 

As the saying goes: " I went trough the 60's twice, and it was more exciting the first time" LOL. 

CT 

I 100% agree about the parallel frame. And i do truly agree with the uhill look which i dislike, both in looks and ride. While I was only born in '65, my first bike was a 60s Triumph chopper and this Sporty which I built starting with the frame,being my 2nd. In Oct of '96 I lucked into a Brand new '97 Electra Glide Classic. While I still rode my Chopper The Electra Glide was like going from a VW to a Cadillac....😁

2 hours ago, Rocketman455 said:

I 100% agree about the parallel frame. And i do truly agree with the uhill look which i dislike, both in looks and ride. While I was only born in '65, my first bike was a 60s Triumph chopper and this Sporty which I built starting with the frame,being my 2nd. In Oct of '96 I lucked into a Brand new '97 Electra Glide Classic. While I still rode my Chopper The Electra Glide was like going from a VW to a Cadillac....😁

I can only imagine the ride of this rigid sporty... Here in the great white north (Quebec city), the roads aren't exactly silky smooth, due to the freezing winter temps and spring thaw. I had one rigid chopper, with a killer look... but it was also killing my back! Can't have it all?

CT

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments folks ! I rode a 72 XLCH from 81-89 I'm short so I had to modify the rear suspension with cut down shocks, she served me well till some drunk  jabrone in Springfield Ma. ran a redlight & I T-boned him.. At any rate, I wish that Revell would repop the Electra Glide or police bike, I could have alot of fun with this kit & one of those...  BTW rocketman, stretched downtubes like the one on your chopper look alot better with a long front end then modifying the neck & increasing the rake, I've done some welding to modify frames & that's what I always sugggested, it made it more stable..Was that a custom frame on yours??? Its looks alot cleaner cuz you have to cut (notch) & weld the top rail if you stretch the downtubes...

Edited by k357