Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brabham BT-46B Fan Car

After building the new Gordon Murray GMA T.50 last month I felt the need to build this.

Western Models white metal kit in 1/43rd from 1981.  Like many of these kits, some of the parts are a little deformed.

Besides the bent cockpit area, one wing is missing part of the leading edge and it also has some missing material at the fill points.

je2dCUr.jpg

sNeIcbY.jpg

• Like 1

The rear rims were very rough inside too, so I machined a clean bevel into the centers.  This is a mock-up to determine the track width of the axles.

JhkcTSP.jpg

The decals and instructions are interesting…  There are multiple errors on the instructions, and some of the decals are shown to be applied in multiple places, but there are not enough of them despite the kit coming with three complete (and different) sheets.  They don't fit well either (too small in some cases and the casting is irregular left to right) so I mixed a dark blue to do a good bit of freehand touching up and filling in.  I made a couple decals to make up for the missing ones.

XvN0LZW.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great - amazing, even, when i look at what you were working with! Thanks for the illustration with decals in the sunlight - i recently acquired my first kit containing such yellowed decals and was unaware of this remedy. Timely!

• Like 1