Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya’s 1/12th Honda CBR 1100XX

She’s done!

The last bits to add, which weren’t included in the kit but visible in all the photos I’ve seen of the bike, are the four small pegs that extend from the bodywork to allow the rider to strap down any extra baggage he might need to carry along. Simple little items really but proved to be a bear to make as they are so small. I tried to find photo etch washers for the base and ends of each one but couldn’t find anything suitable. I wound up making them by punching out eight small styrene discs with the inside ones a larger diameter for the base end. I drilled out the centres to accommodate short lengths of stainless tubing which was much easier said than done but I eventually got 4 assemblies exactly the same. These were then painted in gloss black lacquer followed by Alclad II Polished Aluminum. I used 5 minute epoxy to secure them as it gave me lots of time to ensure proper alignment. All in all I’m quite pleased with the way the model turned out and I’m sure there’ll be a few more 1/12th Tamiya bikes on the bench in the future.    

Thanks for following along.

IMG_2295.jpeg.7b814ea1346c987090ed4148eaea1379.jpeg

IMG_2297.jpeg.796862e718d19b8c246cee81a76b80d0.jpeg

…..and here they are mounted on the bike.

IMG_2347.thumb.jpeg.92e1bb3f4f4cd0a5167546011c9601b5.jpeg

I’ll have more photos posted in “Under Glass” shortly.

Cheers,    
Wolf

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 1