Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dupli-Color 1K Clear vs Decals

1K will work over decals, but you’ll need to do a very light mist coat or two over them. Dupli colors perfect match clear is hot stuff.  If I were you I’d test it on a scrap body or something using a decal from the same set you aren’t gonna use.  If you aren’t careful with it it’ll mess up more than just a decal. I’m a 2K guy, but wanted to try 1K myself, and messed up whole paint job. I haven’t decanted it yet like I should have done in the first place. Also 1K is soft stuff so don’t press too hard or you’ll leave a print. 

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dpate said:

1K will work over decals, but you’ll need to do a very light mist coat or two over them. Dupli colors perfect match clear is hot stuff.  If I were you I’d test it on a scrap body or something using a decal from the same set you aren’t gonna use.  If you aren’t careful with it it’ll mess up more than just a decal. I’m a 2K guy, but wanted to try 1K myself, and messed up whole paint job. I haven’t decanted it yet like I should have done in the first place. Also 1K is soft stuff so don’t press too hard or you’ll leave a print. 

Sounds like I need to stick to wet look clear or Tamiya, and I probably just wasted $20 😂🤣

1 hour ago, Keef said:

Sounds like I need to stick to wet look clear or Tamiya, and I probably just wasted $20 😂🤣

It’s nice after after a good polish. I just suck with rattle cans, and didn’t bother to decant it to practice with it. There’s a lot of users on here that use it with great results. 

On 9/7/2023 at 5:46 PM, Dpate said:

This, plus - If I have a question whether 1K or 2K clear will work with the decals I use the "Title Strip" on the Decal Sheet (applied to a spoon, the one that I tested the paint and air pressure on).  Title Strip = part number, what car it's for and who made it.  That is if it is on decal film, if not then I use the "trimmings" off of the decals that are going to be applied since it's the film that might react Vs the ink which won't.