Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Kübelwagen in progress - Chromecop

Chromecop

1st one is a Gunze 1956 being backdated to 1949/-50 specs. It'll be a cal-looker.

031A.jpg

031C.jpg

049.jpg

22B.jpg

031.jpg

2nd one is a Blue Tank VW Kubelwagen in 1/24th scale. This one will be a "primer-rod"

kubel-rod08.jpg

kw001.jpg

kw004.jpg

Engine-dummy from Hasegawa/Revell Germany VW Bus with minor mods by me....

kw019.jpg

Lotsa scratchbuilding to the interior:

kw024.jpg

Edited by Chromecop

Those are going to be sharp! I've always liked the old VWs in almost every shape and form.

I do have a question though, where did you find the Kubelwagen in 1/24th scale?

I've seen them in the smaller scales, but I've never seen one in the larger scales.

-Scott H.

I do have a question though, where did you find the Kubelwagen in 1/24th scale?I've seen them in the smaller scales, but I've never seen one in the larger scales.

-Scott H.

I have 2 of these "Blue Tank" (manufactor) VW Kubelwagon's. I bought both of them from Ebay and they are quite HTF. However, Hasegawa have recently produced a much better and Highly detailed Kubel in 1/24 which shouldn't be to hard to find in a local Hobbystore or Ebay.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I agree, the Blue Tank kit is pretty HTF; he's also dead-on that the Hasegawa kit is better and likely easier to find.

Darryl - I'm really looking forward to seeing more of these two projects as they evolve, and I'd like to see how you handled the oval-to-split conversion on that Gunze kit as well.

Darryl - I'm really looking forward to seeing more of these two projects as they evolve, and I'd like to see how you handled the oval-to-split conversion on that Gunze kit as well.

Well Dave, I didn't take very much pic's of that particular operation. But, I simply made a "divider" for the stock oval window from plastic card. Then I made new "rubber" seals from Evergreen-rod. These 2 pic's are all I have:

002.jpg

003.jpg

you said back to 40/50 specs... does that mean your going to put the original style suicide doors on it?..just curious

Only the pre-war Kdf-wagen Prototypes had suicide doors. This will be a 1949-1950 year model, and the VW type 1 (Bug) never had anything else but regular doors.

Edited by Chromecop

• 5 weeks later...

Finally..... I put primer on the body this morning. Now It's easier to see all details like:

Scratchbuilt "nose" on the enginelid

Modified enginelid with "molded plateholder" and a small ridge above the "nose"

Scratchbuilt taillights (with round lenses)

Scratchbuilt "signal-grilles" (round in stead of the oval ones) in the front

055.jpg

57.jpg

054.jpg

Love what you are doing. I'm a VW fan myself. I've got a '70 Revell convertible on the workbench right now, and a few un-built VWs in the pile! Will keep an eye on your builds. Thanks for the tip about Hasegawa releasing a 1/24 Kubel. Will have to look for one for sure!

I didn't realize the Kübel was a bad kit.

your doing alot of work on it and it looks Great..

Well, I guess the Hasegawa Kübelwagen is quite a good and detailed kit, but this "Blue Tank" Kübel is more of a "toy" that you build Yourself ! That's why I thought It'd be a great start for this project :):)<_<B)

>Love the Kubelwagen (Thing)

thats a common thought, that a "The Thing" (as they were officially known) was somehow equivalent to a Kubelwagen.

examining them side by side reveals them to have pretty much zero similarities except perhaps in the pressed-ribbed body panels.

I owned a "The Thing" for 20 years and kinda got into them. I always hoped a credible 1/24 kit would appear and even helped some early work on an ill-fated attempt at a trans kit for the tamiya Karmann Ghia (which is the chassis The Thing utilized) to build a true type 181, aka The Thing in the USA only; known as a "Safari" in South/Central American and "Trekker" elsewhere, but we never followed through unfortunately.

killer builds by the way!

• 1 month later...