Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 AMT-boxed Jo-Han AMC AMX restoration however it might transpire (and at whatever pace).

swede70

Greetings, 

Harboring no end of Jo-Han AMC Javelin projects (mostly SCCA Trans-Am topics across years), here would be a slow restoration of a tired AMT-issue '70 AMX.  It looked pretty poor early on, to the extent that no strict 'before' images were captured to post here, although I can relate that it wore three coats of paint, and evidenced pretty awful quarter panel damage where someone had enlarged the wheel arch openings looking back on both sides amongst other issues.  Easy-Off and Simple Green stocks must be up!

Fortunately the rather flat profile along the top of the arch combined with the wind streak surface detail was something I could work with when I grafted in material as made out, while given this is a '70 with one year only side indicators along the flanks, I had to retain these for leaving matters untouched further back. I guess this was for the best given alignment between the additions and the surrounding panel work was made easier, hence something learned and gained both...

1285318459_AMTAMX2003.JPG.6895fd6e1c53f389e86d64994399037b.JPG1093462167_AMTAMX2001.JPG.616a833400a0eac2cd6b846aa2e465a3.JPG

Other matters dealt with include replacing missing fine B-pillar/window border weather strip trim from a deceased Jo-Han SS/AMX donor (the same body affording good quarter panel implants as discerned below), as well as fleshing out the grille trim surround on one corner given a section had been torn out for aggressive use of glue in-period matched to inelegant removal of the bumper/grille assembly sometime later.  

Moving along, an effort (the worth of such still undetermined as I write) to separate the Rebel Machine pressed styled steel wheels into component parts to finish individually was made in combination with hard vinyl MPC Goodyear Polyglas GT tires of old.  I took some X-EL '69 AMC AMX parts trees (actually something commonly obtained at SE Michigan-area toy shows) to steal some promo axle wheel back detail to combine with ancient Time Machine Resin copies, while substituting in/on some Jo-Han '70 Superbird decorative trim rings which feature a small additional lip on the edge otherwise missing from the Jo-Han rendition of the wheel.  I don't know if I'll seek some chrome option for the center stampings, further divide out the trim caps and raised ring part and partial of such, or just what I'll do in total.  Still - looking appropriate even as this likely won't be a highly-detailed build but rather a promo-like effort with Ray's Decals tape stripes versus the application of a Shadow Mask treatment.  

1805309665_AMTAMX5004.JPG.2a86f4afdec93d811594dd59dd61ef4a.JPG

Lastly, the chassis employed at present is a short shot (as in spoiled) X-EL issued item slated to be replaced, while some fortuitously saved plastic kit 'glass', period dash w/grab handle, shifter and high back seat interior rounds matters out less engine - at present!  Thanks for your review of this post...

Mike K. 

Edited by swede70
  • Like 1