Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accurate '70 Dodge Challenger R/T dash?

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

It would seem that none of the Revell or AMT '70 Challenger R/T kits includes an accurate dash. Is there one available somewhere?

Thanks a bunch,

None of them are great. 

if you want one in 1/24, then the one in the Revell (ex-Monogram) T/A Challenger is pretty nice, although it is the standard dash, and not the Rallye dash. 

For 1/25, I like the old MPC dashes. The old MPC Challenger dashes were also the standard cluster. There is a decent knock off of this dash in the Lindberg (ex-Palmer) ‘72 Challenger as well. The gauge details are sort of simple in the MPC and Lindberg dashes, but the shapes are right. 

If you want a Rallye dash, then you could use the one from MPC’s Cudas. 

You could also use the dash from the Revell 1/25 ‘70 Hemi Cuda or AAR (the “new” tool). Although I absolutely despise the bodies on these kits, they are a goldmine for other parts you could use to detail a Challenger or Cuda build. 

This doesn’t get into the issue of the ‘70 (only) Challenger script cast into the dash pad on the passenger side. The Revell-Monogram ‘70 has this. I think the MPC dashes have it, too (even though they moved to an emblem like the Cuda in ‘71). You could either ignore this detail, or maybe putty cast one from a Revell Monogram dash and add it to a Cuda dash if you wanted to. 

The AMT ‘70 Challenger comes with a Rallye dash that to me is misshapen (way too squared off). The new tool Revell ‘70 Challenger R/T-T/A also comes with one that I am not crazy about. 

Many T/A’s and some R/T’s were built with standard dashes, and for that matter, many standard Challengers were built with Rallye dashes, so it all would depend on what you want or need, specific to your build. 

• Like 1

Wow! It now seems like a good item to just ignore. In the long run, I intend to do a '70 R/T convertible, and thought it would be nice to find an accurate dash, but now I'm thinking of just using what's in the box and forget about it. I will buy instrument dial decals though. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Wow! It now seems like a good item to just ignore. In the long run, I intend to do a '70 R/T convertible, and thought it would be nice to find an accurate dash, but now I'm thinking of just using what's in the box and forget about it. I will buy instrument dial decals though. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

You are welcome!

As it will be a convertible, you’ll see the dash pretty easily. 

I guess if I were to start fresh, I’d try to find either the Monogram 1/24 dash and cut it down to fit somehow, or find an MPC Cuda dash. I don’t know of anybody who casts them, but sometimes you can find original kit pieces on eBay. 

• Like 1