Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best matte coat? Alclad issue.

So I own Alclads matte coat, and I own testors dull coat. Haven’t used much of the dull coat, but the Alclads matte coat I tested on a painted spoon, and looked great, and dried perfectly fine. So used it on motorcycle frame 2 coats, and it’s been tacky for over 2 weeks. Some sections have took fingerprints, and looks rubbed off being shiny. I’m not sure what I did wrong, but should I re test or just use a new product? Not sure why it worked perfectly fine on the spoon test, and not the frame. I did use 1 coat on the spoon, and 2 coats on the frame. 

Edited by Dpate

• Dpate changed the title to Best matte coat? Alclad issue.
7 minutes ago, Keef said:

I just recently started using this stuff and so far I love it! 

IMG_9092.jpeg

After cleaning, and boxing up cause I’m moving soon I found a can of this lol. Didn’t know I had bought it. How durable is it? How many coats? 

29 minutes ago, Dpate said:

After cleaning, and boxing up cause I’m moving soon I found a can of this lol. Didn’t know I had bought it. How durable is it? How many coats? 

I used it on the interior of a GTX I built and did a lot of handling after it had dried and had no issues. This had 1 medium heavy coat on it. Dried rather quickly as well.

IMG_8248.jpeg

Edited by Keef
Added info

9 hours ago, El Roberto said:

The flattest (dead flat) I've ever used is AK Ultra Matte.  Great for places where you aren't going to be handling the surface.  Terrible for bodies etc cause it's very fragile.  You can rub it off with your finger. 

Yeah the alclad is fragile too, but for some reason mine just stayed tacky in certain spots.